SLW roo over (WARNING!!! updated pics now post 29

Raven81

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Te Anau NZ
Orpingtons. has anyone done this & what colors did you have & what were the results??
Just wondering as i have a broody sitting on some eggs of that sort.

Last edited:
The chicken calculator gives these results for SLW roo over Buff Orpington hens:

50% Pullets, black patterned silver incomplete halfspangled?
50% Cockerels, black patterned yellow/golden incomplete halfspangled?

If your Orpingtons are not Buff you can plug in their color and see what to expect here

The SLW x Blue orp would give:
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

SLW x Black Orp:
50% Pullets, black unicolor
50% Cockerels, black unicolor

SLW x Splash Orp:
50% Pullets, blue unicolor
50% Cockerels, blue unicolor

The line to choose color and the results come in English, you just have to look around to find it. That site confused the heck out of me at first, but it's a lot of fun to play with!

ok so would this mix create a kind of sex link.
was wondering about combs if the have a straight comb would they be pullets & if they have a wyandotte comb would the be cockerals?

No, that cross wouldn't create sex-links, either in color or combs.

I have some SLW/Orp crossed pullets and one cockerel. They have all sorts of combs, from nice looking single combs to something that looks like a wad of gum with a horn sticking up in back, LOL.

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
oh lol well that doesnt help me sex them
th.gif

They should all be rose combed since the rose comb is dominant.

The ones from the Buff hens would be pullets that are pure silver and would look like a Columbian bird like a Columbian Wyandotte and the males would look about the same but would also be split for gold so they would have some yellowish feathering as well.

The ones from the Blue and Black orps should be Blue or Black but may have some Silver leakage coming through.

some of them have a wide flat comb i pressume rose comb but at least one of them has a single row of spikes i will try to get some pics up later today.
71127_dsc00632.jpg
this pic i took yesterday while the last 2 were hatching.

beta pics
#1 blue

#2 Black

#3 Buff??

#4 Buff??

#5 Blue / splash?

i think all but the 1st blue will have rose combs, the 1st blue has a row of spikes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom