Small coops: What does the inside look like?

What are the signs? Do you mean older metal Purina signs? Sounds interesting!
Here is one...
20180114_152747.jpg

Today I added a new roost to the chicken coop. I can only go so high because of windows, ventilation and the sloped roof, but I just installed a single roost on the other side of the coop from the other two. This one is just a single bar, but it spans the width from front to back, and I'm replacing the platform I made (a structure with legs; way overbuilt) with two bars mounted to the walls. The legs and support take up floor space; it's just a clunky contraption, but I wasn't sure what else to do.

Once the roosts are done, I'm adding pooper boards. Not thrilled about them, but it does make a lot of sense. But I won't be using sand.

The hens can fly up to the new roost, but do they need a ladder, too? They can get up there easily. I see lots of ladders in chicken coops, though, and was wondering if they're needed. I'll have one for the lower roosts in case my rooster Henry can someday roost again. For now he's confined to a double wide beginner roost on short blocks on the floor.

I don't like to keep feed in the coop. It attracts mice. I put the containers in the run & only put the amount I know they will eat. Toward the end of the day, I take the top part of the feeder off, pour water on the remaining feed in the tray & they act like I gave them a wonderful treat. They gobble it down. When they go to bed, if there's any wet food left, I throw it in the trash & wash the container. It will be dry & ready for the next morning's dry feed.
As far as ladders, I have large breed chickens & don't like the roost to be high. I worry about injuries & bumblefoot. (I have a high ladder in my chicken tractor but plan to remove it when I go to use it again this summer)

I don't like to keep feed in the coop. It attracts mice. I put the containers in the run & only put the amount I know they will eat. Toward the end of the day, I take the top part of the feeder off, pour water on the remaining feed in the tray & they act like I gave them a wonderful treat. They gobble it down. When they go to bed, if there's any wet food left, I throw it in the trash & wash the container. It will be dry & ready for the next morning's dry feed.
As far as ladders, I have large breed chickens & don't like the roost to be high. I worry about injuries & bumblefoot. (I have a high ladder in my chicken tractor but plan to remove it when I go to use it again this summer)
I saved the crumbly dust at the bottom of the feed bag and gave it to them as mash just before they roosted tonight. They ate it all up.

I've been keeping the food in the coop, and I bring it out during the day. I find they consume more when it's right there in front of them, and I don't mind them eating organic feed to their heart's content. I haven't noticed rodents in the coop or run, so for now I'll keep the feed available to them inside the coop, since I don't get there first thing in the morning.

As for a higher roost, that was my feeling, too. So I chose two roosts at the same height, parallel to each other and maybe two feet off the ground. They're being replaced with roosts that extend the full width of that space so they have more room, but I'm keeping the height the same. The higher one I'll have to measure. The bedding is deep and soft with no twigs inside the coop, so I'm hopeful they'll be okay, but it's something I've questioned for sure.

Back
Top Bottom