Small rodent getting into chicken run

TheyBeChillin

Chirping
Jun 5, 2022
Hello! I’ve recently discovered a small hole, roughly the size of a nickel or a quarter in diameter, in my chicken run. I’m not sure what type of rodent, but I’m thinking mice or maybe a vole. The first time I discovered only one hole, I filled it up with rocks thinking that was that. However, a couple days afterwards I’ve now found two more holes- one inside the chicken run and one directly outside. They’re both now filled with rocks. Any way I could trap the animal/kill it? I would’ve left it alone if it hadn’t kept coming back. I don’t want a bunch of holes in my run or my feed to get eaten so I don’t see any other option. I don’t want to put poison out for fear my chickens will get into it. Any ideas? Thank you so much!

You could remove the feed at night and put it back in the morning. Leaving it in the run will attract more serious and dangerous varmints, too - like raccoons. If I don't put the food up at night, there's a party in the run. Amazing how crafty these critters are at getting in where you wouldn't imagine it possible. If it's mice or a vole, your chickens may catch it for you and eat it. Bonus protein! If it's a snake, you may have problems. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.

I usually put caps over the feed at night so that they can’t get into it. They’re thick, plastic caps, but I know they’ll be persistent. I think it’s going after the feed my chickens scatter everywhere haha. A raccoon or a snake would be much worse though to attract, so I hope it isn’t that. Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom