Small things that make us so happy...

MicMoo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I have four chickens, about 14 weeks old, and every night they all gather into a chicken pile in the corner of the coop to sleep. There's a roosting board in their coop, but they just ignore it.

Three nights ago, I picked each one up and set them on the roost. Last night, I again picked them up and set each one on the roost.

They learn pretty quickly. Tonight, I go out to 'tuck them in' and find all four happily sitting on the roost, ready for bed.
big_smile.png

What seemingly small things do your chickens do to make you happy?

Mine are like that too. They are a smart flock of birds i have to say. They are 6 Months old now so they are just starting to lay eggs. they started laying them in the corner of the coop. so i picked up the eggs an would put them in the nesting box (i would throw them away after about 4 days) But this is the 8th day of egg laying and pretty much all of the eggs are being laid in the nest boxes. so im pretty happy that they like to learn fast
smile.png

love.gif

Yesterday I was picking raspberries and wound up with a chicken on my shoulder when I bent over. Same chicken that slept on DBF's legs when he was working on stuff under their coop.

It is funny how relaxing my chickens can be. My husband works evenings and is gone all evening, leaving me to cook supper, bath and get my two small children in bed. It can be so hard sometimes. Many nights, after the baby is safe in bed and fast asleep, I will leave the back door to my bedroom open in order to hear her if she wakes up and go out and just watch my chickens. Even my "crazy" four year old son likes to quitely sit and watch them. I can feel myself unwind. On the weekends when my husband is home in the evenings, he will watch the two kids and I will go out by myself and have some "alone time". I love my chickens and can not wait to add to my little flock!
wee.gif

Just having my whole flock of about 75 birds follow me around the yard is so neat looking. Then you add the flock of ducks and geese it is just wonderful!!! They look up at me and talk all the time. austinhart123 just watch those turkeys on your back..lol I have a hen turkey that did that for a while and she would fly up and try to land on my shoulder. The only problem was she always clawed me on the neck since it is a tight space for a huge turkey to try to land on. Then of course she started pulling my hair and I said enough..lol Gota watch them silly turkeys. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom