Smaller vs. Larger Comb/Wattles

CityChook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
I don't know if this is the right spot for this post or not.... sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

I have 4 Buff Orps, 6.5 months old. I've noticed, just over the past few weeks, that their combs and wattles have doubled in size. 3 of the 4 have larger and very red combs/wattles/faces while one is still pale pink and smaller. However, that hen is the largest in size of all the 4.

I'm guessing that this is a maturity thing? BTW, 1 is laying, the other 3 are making me wait....

I feel like my 4 year old.... "Why?"

I am seeing the same thing with my largest Buff Orp and my largest Blk Australorp. I assume that the larger birds mature more slowly. They are at the same point of development and size as my 2 Lt Brahmas, which is a large breed that takes a while to mature.

Last edited:
I have been watching this with my girls too.. and having seen information here I am slowly becoming an expert on my own chickens.

I saw their wattles and combs growing and increasingly having very pink faces and sure as anything they have started to lay just this week. I also read about them ducking down and raising their shoulders when you tried to stroke them and they are doing that too.... lol.

So I am feeling really smug about the info I have gained here, and a huge thank you to all you experienced BYC addicts, I have had an egg every day since wednesday from the one, and 2 more showing very good signs.

SO your hens look as though they are reaching the stage where they will be laying soon. Best wishes for you,

Jena.

Back
Top Bottom