Smashed or Hatching?

UPDATE: Since this morning I now have 3 newly hatched chicks, 1 is a Columbian Rock Cross, and 2 of them are Barred Rock.

Also, I don't have chick feed at this very moment, can chicks consume Breeding and Laying crumble? I plan on picking up some chick feed soon, but I only have breeding and laying crumble right now.

No! Laying crumble has way too much calcium, it'll shut down their kidneys.

Chicks can go 24-48 hours after hatching before eating.

No! Laying crumble has way too much calcium, it'll shut down their kidneys.

Chicks can go 24-48 hours after hatching before eating.

I guess its between caught between a rock and hard place. Some feed is better than none, but I do agree that its probably not the best situation. Additionally, chicks cannot eat crumble - so blitz it in a food processor. I'd suggest making getting some starter feed a matter of urgency.

I am going to be buying starter feed sometime today, I looked up if they could eat the crumble and found out that they couldn't because of the calcium, never will I make the same mistake again. I took out the feed from their area, they only ate a little I think so I hope that won't hurt them. Thanks.

I am going to be buying starter feed sometime today, I looked up if they could eat the crumble and found out that they couldn't because of the calcium, never will I make the same mistake again. I took out the feed from their area, they only ate a little I think so I hope that won't hurt them. Thanks.

Ah, don't sweat it too much - its not the end of the world and a little will certainly not hurt them. As long as they have access to water (not that they absolutely need that in the first 36 hours or so, either), I'm sure that they will be fine.

Thanks! I just just bought chick feed. I figured a little wouldn't hurt them, but I wasn't even sure how much they had eaten in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom