Smokers Paradise (for all the smokers and BBQ lovers)

How do you smoke a full venison shoulder. I have a little chief smoker and I have been afraid to smoke anything so thick as a roast.... My fish take forever, like sometimes close to 24 hours. I am so NEW at this but love the flavor of smoked meats. Would love nothing more than be able to smoke a ham or turkey or chicken.....

smoke it at 250° till you have an internal temp of 160°. venison is very lean so i like to brine it for at least 24 hours. the salt in the brine will break down the proteins in the meat fibers so they don't contract and squeeze out the juices as it cooks.

your fish shouldn't take anywhere near that long unless you're cold smoking them.

Last edited:
How do you smoke a full venison shoulder.  I have a little chief smoker and I have been afraid to smoke anything so thick as a roast....   My fish take forever, like sometimes close to 24 hours.    I am so NEW at this but love the flavor of smoked meats.   Would love nothing more than be able to smoke a ham or  turkey or chicken.....
First I brine it for a couple of days....or if I'm corning it two weeks......then I slow smoke it at about 200 degrees for several hours.
When it's done...it's awesome.
Venison shoulders aren't that big. They fit on the rack of my smoker.
You smoker is an electric smoker it basically smokes at a colder temp.

Last edited:
If it's like the one I have it doesn't it's just a heating element with no controls. The better electric ones do.
Fish takes forever on it. That's why I got the propane smoker.
thumbsup.gif

If it's like the one I have it doesn't it's just a heating element with no controls. The better electric ones do.
Fish takes forever on it. That's why I got the propane smoker.
Mine is obviously a cold smoker as I don't think I have gotten above 160 and that is on a hot day. I really want one that will do the roasts (hot smoker?).

My propane smoker can actually get over 400 degrees.....I usually keep it between 200-250 degrees.

a propane flame in a smoker environment burns at 3596° so there is a lot of potential to get much higher, i have taken my propane smoker over 600° for 'cleaning' several times, with the burner on high and water pan empty it gets there quick.

The Traeger is an electronic pellet smoker, but you can grill, roast, smoke and broil on it. Temp controls from smoke 180 up to 450.

The Traeger is an electronic pellet smoker, but you can grill, roast, smoke and broil on it. Temp controls from smoke 180 up to 450.
I have looked at those before but wasn't quite sold on the pellets but I guess it is no real difference than buying charcoal. Are you pleased with yours?

Back
Top Bottom