Smokers Paradise (for all the smokers and BBQ lovers)

Pics
The local butcher/specialty grill shop had a big anniversary sale so I splurged, bought a Flame Boss 200(digital temperature control), couple bags of lump charcoal and a nice ribeye for dinner.  I was going to put a brisket on the grill last night but some heavy rain rolled in so I will put that on tonight, probably smoke a pork loin for dinner tonight.
] yum.....I want to do something nice this week just haven't figured out what yet!!!
Maybe some chicken....any ideas?

I have this old propane smoker...it's about worn out...I smoke a lot of fish....and just about everything else. I primarily use Apple and cherry woods. Next week I'll be smoking a full venison shoulder.

Sorry about the double post, I was on my cell when I saw this thread, I wanted in, cannot believe I missed this for so long.

I have the same smoker as above.

I would like a nicer one, but The WWD I am married to will not allow me to get the green egg I covet. (WWD is wicked witch's daughter) I have thought about building a black smoker, my Grandpa use to have one and it made a ton of meat. But for just the two of us it is not real practical.

In reading the past posts it appears some of you smoke without brining, is that possible? What does meat turn out like? The one reason I do not smoke more is because I am not good at planning ahead and I pass the time to start brining.

I saw some one does eggs in the smoker, how?

We bought a pig and the hams were smoked at the butcher shop, they were/are so poor I have thought of re-brining and smoking them again. Can that be done? Will it work? Next time I will tell them to skip the smoking and do it myself.

The bacon they made was fantastic, the ham was terrible, how is that possible?

BTW great thread.

My wife mentioned chicken and we have 8 home grown meaties in the freezer but they weren't rested ahead of time so with defrost and rest I need to pull them probably 5 days in advance.
With the brisket and all though it will be next weekend before I need to cook a whole bird for dinner.

My family likes a whole bird spatchcocked(backbone cut out and flattened bird), just go easy on the smoking wood if you use any, strong woods or too much wood will really overpower poultry fast

On the Green Egg the ceramic cookers really are another class, no need for water trays, or restoking the fire or anything and once you get used to them you can leave them go overnight unattended. Bet I did 30 overnight cooks with just a remote thermometer before buying an actual controller yesterday. Being insulated they use less fuel and with less fuel means less drying airflow.

Last edited:
I don't brine everything....I think it just depends....lean meat like chicken breast I will.....I like to inject a lot too after brining.....
I've decided to brine the chicken in apple juice....then Glaze it with honey cayenne .....smoke it with cherry wood.
When I'm done I want to slice it and make sandwiches on home made artisan bread.
And we are gonna make home made mac and cheese...white cheddar and Swiss...

I have found just the freezing time and thawing time is enough rest time on my CX's and I raise jumbo CX's 11-13 pounds dressed... I never thought of taking backs out,,great idea!

I might have to try one without the "3 day rest" then. Mine are small, first batch ever, started in early march and in the freezer end of April, most dressed 3.8ish which actually works for us as the kids are little.
Cut the backbone out, flatten cracking a few bones, allows better heating from both sides so it cooks quicker and has less chance to dry. Thanksgiving turkey might be the only traditional whole bird I cook again and only that because a flattened turkey would take a heck of a lot of real estate.

Sorry about the double post, I was on my cell when I saw this thread, I wanted in, cannot believe I missed this for so long.

I have the same smoker as above.

I would like a nicer one, but The WWD  I am married to will not allow me to get the green egg I covet.  (WWD is wicked witch's daughter)      I have thought about building a black smoker, my Grandpa use to have one and it made a ton of meat.  But for just the two of us it is not real practical.

In reading the past posts it appears some of you smoke without brining, is that possible?  What does meat turn out like?   The one reason I do not smoke more is because I am not good at planning ahead and I pass the time to start brining.

I saw some one does eggs in the smoker, how?

We bought a pig and the hams were smoked at the butcher shop, they were/are so poor I have thought of re-brining and smoking them again. Can that be done? Will it work?   Next time I will tell them to skip the smoking and do it myself.  

The bacon they made was fantastic, the ham was terrible, how is that possible?

BTW great thread.

Welcome to the thread Ralphie, glad you found us. As far as brining, I have done it various ways, sometimes I brine, sometimes I don't. For things like turkey, hams, some pork dishes, I will brine.

I don't brine everything....I think it just depends....lean meat like chicken breast I will.....I like to inject a lot too after brining.....
I've decided to brine the chicken in apple juice....then Glaze it with honey cayenne .....smoke it with cherry wood.
When I'm done I want to slice it and make sandwiches on home made artisan bread.
And we are gonna make home made mac and cheese...white cheddar and Swiss...

One of my favorite ways to have chicken is on the Traeger, beer can chicken, 350 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Perhaps one of the best beer can chicken was made with a hard apple cider. It was sooo good, it will be the way we do beer can chickens from now on....

Welcome to the thread Ralphie, glad you found us. As far as brining, I have done it various ways, sometimes I brine, sometimes I don't. For things like turkey, hams, some pork dishes, I will brine.
One of my favorite ways to have chicken is on the Traeger, beer can chicken, 350 degrees for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Perhaps one of the best beer can chicken was made with a hard apple cider. It was sooo good, it will be the way we do beer can chickens from now on....
I can see hard cider working real well.....

Back
Top Bottom