smooth coop wall material?

clothespin

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 17, 2014
We're in process of making an open air coop under a large metal roofed area (we're in south central Texas).

The enclosed coop area, in the middle of the roofed area, will have a concrete floor with the walls (with many doors to open/close as the weather demands)... I would like to avoid the nooks and cranies of a framed wall structure with the 2 x 4's exposed on the inside (and making it difficult to clean). And I do plan on the 2 x 4's being exposed on the outside (but well under the roof so no water exposure) and then painted. I just want to make the cleaning of the litter to be easier than in my previous coop.

Does anyone have any suggestions of wall material to use? We thought of metal roofing but it's not flat. And plastic shower walls are not cheap and they're plastic. Am I missing an option?

Thanks all!

So your going to frame the coop, but put the sheathing on the inside?

Interesting concept. Only takes me 15 minutes tops to clean out my two 6x8 coops.

My interior walls are drywall and OSB but the 2 feet around roost butt height is Tin panels.. Easy to clean in the event they get hit. Poop boards flush against wall prevent poo from getting any farther and roosts are far enough way that it's a rare event the tin gets poo'd on. I'm with you, after years of being grossed out by poop walls I did a re-model to ensure it doesnt happen.

I'm not sure I understand the issue here? Could you sketch a diagram?

Covering both sides of the framing to create a hollow is an open invitation for rodents to set up a household.
The OP is going to frame the coop normally, but put the sheathing on the inside. The studs will be on the outside and not covered in sheathing. Unconventional, but it would work well eliminating the common nooks and crannies a traditional coop has.

Back
Top Bottom