Snake? Coon? Rats?

Chicks & Turks

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Oh my this is annoying! I have 7 girls laying right now, I see an egg when I leave for school, but I don't want to get poop on my shoes, come home go to get it and it's GONE! The chickens are freaking out. I figured someone got it for me, NOPE the egg cartons empty and no one went to the coop today. So okay okay, maybe I just couldn't find it, got covered whatever. The next week NOOOOO EGGS FROM 7 CHICKENS! I put them in the quarentine coop to see if they are stopping due to weather or moult, NOPE in one day I got 5 eggs and the next day I got 6. So I am thinking, put them back in the coop, and then there are feathers and no eggs the next day! So what do you guys think? The coop has chicken wire windows, that are covered with OSB during the day. I don't have locks on the nest boxes. Could a coon open a nest box? It's a hinged door on the outside, but why not eat the bantam broody, instead of eggs? There is a 6' privacy fence in community watch area and dogs that bark at people, but we've seen them let animals eat their food before. I just don't know.... I haven't seen tracks yet, ideas?

If it doesn't kill the broody bantam then I think its either a snake or a rat.

My chickens don't get freaked out if they see a rat but they might if they saw a snake big enough to eat a egg.

But would one snake eat that many eggs? rats would roll them away and hide them somewhere. Young Possum? Muskrat? could they get in through the chicken door? or do they have a chicken run?
I can't see them opening the nest box but I'd put a lock/snap on it just to rule that out.

Maybe somebody that lives in NC has a better idea.

The run is hopefully secure. It's got hardware mesh the on the bottom, top and sides for 3'. Does that make since? like on the edges and stuff theres hardware cloth, and welded wire, 1x3 everywhere. The roof is chickenwire covered with shade cloth. The nest box is only a peice of hinged tin, so maybe? I don't know. I guess if I see eggs i better grab it! I will lock the nest box as soon as I can get to walmart.

Snake.
They will eat as many eggs as they can. I've seen pictures of one with five eggs in it's gullet.
Rats tend to break and eat the egg right where it is and not cart it off.
Snakes will eat eggs then go digest them somewhere and then return.
Occasionally a snake will eat one of two and just lay on top of the other eggs till it gets hungry again.
Get a snake hook or grabber and look carefully under all the bedding for a snake hiding there.

Back
Top Bottom