Snake Enthusiasts - Ringneck Questions...

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
We found a tiny little ringneck snake down around the rubble of the old house we had taken down. We're pulling out the old barnstone they didn't take, and my husband almost has a heart attack over it. It's all of 6 inches long, LOL.

Here's a pic:
5981_0809081551.jpg

Is it illegal to keep a wild snake as a pet? I've had the set up for a snake for quite some time, but my husband wouldn't let me buy one. There's not much information about keeping wild ringnecks, are they a fairly easy snake for a beginner?

If not, I'll immediately release it, so no worries. I won't keep an animal I can't properly provide for just for my enjoyment.

Thanks in advance-
Em

AWW! I'm not a big snake fan, but I LOVE ring neck snakes! What a find! I have the email of a snake expert in Oklahoma, and he knows a lot about ring neck snakes, but I don't know if it would be area specific. It may not matter, he looks exactly like the ones we have here. I can pm you with it if you would like to give it a shot.
smile.png

They release a stink when handled... Here is some more info/. Named for a yellow band around the neck, the ringneck snake is relatively easy to identify when encountered. Its back is either slate gray, black or brown with smooth scales giving it a satin-like appearance. A complete yellow ring just behind the head, along with smooth scales, distinguishes it from redbelly or juvenile brown snakes. The belly is bright yellow or rarely orange, and may occasionally bear a few small black spots.

Mating takes place in spring or fall, with 3-4 eggs (up to ten) laid in June or early July. Eggs are about 1" long and are deposited together under rocks or other cover, in rotting logs and stumps, mulch piles or small mammal burrows. Hatchlings emerge in August or September.

Ringneck snakes prefer moist woodlands as their habitat. This is also habitat for an important prey item, redback salamanders. Although salamanders make up the bulk of their diet, ringnecks will also feed on earthworms, insects and, on occasion, fish. As relatively small snakes, they rarely bask in the open and are generally found under cover (rocks, logs, boards, debris) during the day. Like the salamanders on which they prey, ringnecks are usually nocturnal. They are most active in spring and fall and are rarely seen during summer. Among all the New England snakes, ringnecks are most likely to end up in someone's basement. Ringneck snakes rarely bite, but may release a foul musk when handled.

My daughter wants to name him Stinker if we keep him, so, yeah, we found out about the musk thing, LOL.

I was hoping to find out what to feed him. I can get earthworms out of the garden, but they're as big as he is.

The websites say they'll eat small invertabrates, so I guess I'll be turning over rocks tomorrow am looking for small slugs.

IF we keep him.
Em

You could try a local bait store. Maybe red worms would be more his size. You could try cutting the worms into two or three pieces..

I think red worms are also called red wiggler(wrigglers). They are a smaller more prolific earth worm commonly used for composting.

-Kim

Years ago I kept a ringneck snake for a couple of years and caught his food for him. He ate slugs, worms, baby lizards and little green tree frogs. I ended up letting him go. I have several snakes and enjoy them. The only thing I did not like about the ringneck is they do not constrict and kill their prey before they eat it. At least mine did not. So where ever they grab their prey is the starting point and they just work their jaws over it from there. They are an interesting little snake. I let mine go in my flower garden and before I did it I made him mad so he would display his tail for me. The bright orangish-red underside of the tail is curled up and turned over, showing it to predators to scare them off. I took pics but it was with a 35MM and I don't have it on digital. Mine lived in a little bird house in an aquarium. He was cute.

Lisa
smile.png

That snake is too cute. I know in Indiana (maybe all states) it is illegal to keep any indigenous animal as a pet. But as long as no one knows...

You could also try feeding him waxworms, meal worms, superworms, or crickets. Those would be more his size and are readily available at pet and bait shops.

Back
Top Bottom