Snake theory

UNCLEG

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
OK after dispatching my secound chicken snake this week I have theory. Snakes can smell eggs with chicks in them. Everytime I have hen on eggs I find a snake, no hens on eggs no snakes. Could be just happening by chance but I wonder if any of you have noticed a patten.

Thanx,

G

They are attracted and can sense the warmth of the eggs.

No hen on eggs = cold eggs = little appeal for snakes.

I don't think they care or can tell if there is a baby chick in the eggs, I think they are just going for the warm ones. That explains why they will sometimes eat a golf ball or fake egg - if it's warm they just figure it's a good one.

Last edited:
Maybe the snakes are drawn to the body heat of a broody hen/ I know that several kinds of snakes have sensory organs that let them "see" body heat. Anyone else have any theories?

Good input, Had not thought about the heat, and I know the one I killed yesterday had to have been under the hen which had just got up off nest to eat.

Thanx,

G

When I see a snake, I tell DH it's time to mow. My Uncle Harold (God rest his soul) used to have a story about finding a snake. It had just eaten a mouse. He was just a little boy at the time. He was so upset he killed the snake and cut it open. The mouse was still alive and well. Yeah, yeah, I know. Mice are bad too, but it was 60 years ago he was just a little kid.

Back
Top Bottom