Snake!

buddymc

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
So.. not sure if this is the correct place to post. Anyhow.
The girls have been in their coop for about a week or so now. They are going on 8 weeks and doing great!

I just finished the "basics" of their run today, which means I have the whole thing covered in 2 x 4 welded wire. Starting tomorrow I'm going to cover the bottom 3 ft. in 1/2 x 1/2 HC. I also plan on putting some recycled tin roof from an old shed on a couple of sides so racoons can't "herd" them into a corner and snatch chunks.

At the end of today I let the girls out into the run supervised. I know that 2 x 4 isn't totally predator proof, and I stayed in the run with them to watch them. I wanted to let them stretch their wings and get some exercise.

I'm standing there in the run. The girls are having a great time scratching, trying to fly here to there... all is well.

I'm keeping an eye out for snakes, since I know we have "slim" the black snake living in the backyard, and "the old timer" living in the front yard (the 6 ft. black snake). I totally leave the black snakes alone since I've been told the keep the "bad snakes" away / eat the bad snakes.

All of a sudden I look over and see Slim slithering thru the run!!!!
sad.png
He's the 4 - 4 1/2 black snake in the backyard.. and is just casually slithering thru the run with the girls about 1 ft or less away. I immediately grab my snake stick to poke him and get him to move. He just keeps going..that close to the girls. Doesn't even bother them.

Are they now to big for him to eat? I was shocked. And the girls didn't seem to be very freaked out. They are around 8 weeks old so does Slim know he has now chance of eating them?

at 8 weeks, i think they are way to big for him to eat...i think he is just crashing while looking for a free egg meal. Personally i dont mind snakes (they keep the mouse population down)...then again, i haven't had any posienous snake in my area.

Quote:
I agree. I leave all non-venomous snakes alone, they eat lots of stuff that I don't want around. I don't think my roosters would allow a snake of any kind anywhere near the hen house anyway.

-S

Back
Top Bottom