snakes, eggs, and crazy sex links

JenniYoung

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
So four or five days ago, our egg production decreased pretty significantly. I keep track, so I noticed right away. The first day, I thought it was weird. The second day, I started to get concerned. I have looked them over for any obvious signs of sickness, I have checked vents, I have checked for feathers and broody chickens... no clues whatsoever.

And then today I sat outside for a little while and observed. Our black sex link was actually pacing in front of and around the laying house, and when other hens went in to lay, she would go in and chase them out. One of my ameraucanas finally laid, but it was after being chased out at least twice and then walking around and going in through the back. Two of my best layers have given me nothing in days.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before?

Not sure if it could be related, but we found a snake curled in one of our nesting areas eating one of the eggs the day it started. We are pretty sure the snake is gone as my husband got it and relocated it and we have seen no other signs of it... plus my children are in there all the time looking for eggs and having "chicken meetings" (we're a little weird here).

Is it possible that our sex link is trying to protect the flock or their eggs? I sort of doubt it because I've watched an australorp slurp up a snake like a piece of spaghetti, so I tend to think they don't fear the snakes, but I honestly don't know. And the black sex link herself is in there trying to lay right now, so that makes the egg protection theory seem off.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Probably several things going on here. Some hens just guard the nest box and will try to chase other birds away from or out of the nests. About the snake relocation - if it was to a permanent resting place you are guaranteed that it won't come back; otherwise, reptiles like all wild animals have a strong homing instinct. There is always the possibility of more snakes.

Thank you, Sourland! Is it normal for a chicken to suddenly do that when she has always been fine laying with all of the other hens before? One of our spring chicks did start laying this week, so I wondered if that just weirded her out some.

And about the snake - ha ha!! The reason I said "pretty sure" is because my sweet husband, after identifying and letting the kids look at it, put it into a box and put the box into the back of his car to take to a forest sort of close to our house. When he got there, he opened the box, and it was empty. At that point he realized it was a diaper box, which of course has holes for handles. So he looked through his car pretty thoroughly and didn't find it. He drove to his office, which is across town, and he left his car doors open all day. Then when he got home, he put an egg into his car, and it was still there the next morning... so we kind of think that the snake got out at his office, but honestly, who knows? (I know - best husband/snake story EVER!)

Either way, though, we have paid close attention, and I am sending out my children even more regularly to check for eggs. Part of our property is wooded, and I'm in Florida, so we definitely have snakes. I just think it is unlikely that one could take our eggs too long without being caught.

And Goofy - I probably will. I was just curious if there was a good reason she might have for doing that that I didn't know. I've only been doing this for a couple of years, so I am always curious to learn more. :)

Some hens think that the nest is theirs.And you probably know more than me on chickens, given the fact I'm actually ten years old. But I have read "storeys guide to raising chickens" all the way through and I own "the chicken health handbook" ( not finished reading it yet)
;)

Last edited:
Ha! Ten years old? Go you! I fondly remember being ten. Don't underestimate yourself, little learner. At this rate, you'll be writing a book on chickens soon. :) Feel free to share any knowledge you have on crazy black stars who keep me from getting my eggs.

Be careful on the Internet, though. Lots of weirdos out there.

Good thinking. That is probably what I will have to do right now because our isolation area is already being taken up by our faverolle, who is healing from some bumblefoot.

Turns out that behavior isn't typical. I think she just had a couple of bullyish days. And all hens except my RIR have resumed laying. I am wondering if they all just got a little off from walking in on that snake.

Back
Top Bottom