Snakes in Duck Barn

Other than freaking them out I don't think you need to worry. We had one living in the loft of our coop thing was 6' long and was feasting on eggs. So snake and I took a long walk to release him away from here. Rat snakes are so good to have around as long as you don't have chicks or ducklings or any other baby poultry.

I have unfortunately read on this forum of rat snakes killing full grown chickens. The chickens were found with their heads wet and slimy, left dead in the coop because the snake couldn't swallow them. So while yes, the snake could kill your ducks, it probably takes a very motivated snake to try.

Other than freaking them out I don't think you need to worry. We had one living in the loft of our coop thing was 6' long and was feasting on eggs. So snake and I took a long walk to release him away from here. Rat snakes are so good to have around as long as you don't have chicks or ducklings or any other baby poultry.
How long did it stay in your coop without hurting anyone? I can't reach it and it is very intimidating, the largest snake I have ever seen. I walked in and it was on the floor and it promptly climbed the wall. It is staying in the corner of the rafters. 😓

Attachments

• 0606212030b.jpg
    0606212030b.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 23
I have unfortunately read on this forum of rat snakes killing full grown chickens. The chickens were found with their heads wet and slimy, left dead in the coop because the snake couldn't swallow them. So while yes, the snake could kill your ducks, it probably takes a very motivated snake to try.
I've heard of the slimmy heads, my gracious. I'm hopeful until we can figure out how to get it out it stays in the rafters.

I've heard of the slimmy heads, my gracious. I'm hopeful until we can figure out how to get it out it stays in the rafters.
Oh my goodness, I'm not afraid of snakes... But I have read about slimy heads and deceased ducks in the morning on here. It may be unlikely that it would try to eat a duck - but I feel like I wouldn't take the chance.

I don't know how to get it out of the rafters. Climb up with a ladder? Gently nudge it with a broom? Call in reinforcements?

How long did it stay in your coop without hurting anyone? I can't reach it and it is very intimidating, the largest snake I have ever seen. I walked in and it was on the floor and it promptly climbed the wall. It is staying in the corner of the rafters. 😓
Solution: get a shovel 😂

I have no idea how long it lived up in the storage space but the same thing happend here it made an escape back up into the storage area. My dh got the ladder and used a 4 prong garden tool to knock it down, first time I have ever jumped over a roost board before lol. He caught it and carried it off next time it was my turn to catch it since he wasn't here, could have been the same one returned I don't know they grow at least 6' here. I've caught them at different lengths and carried them off, Now I keep the pop door closed to the coop and have the pop door to the coop where the nest boxes are for the chickens to use. Don't know why but I have never seen a snake in that coop. Even had one eat eggs right out from under my tiny OEGB and also found one with a day old duckling in its grip, didn't manage to save the eggs but did save the duckling. That snake that had the duckling didn't make it. I have learned not to be afraid of snakes I think it's adrenalin that kicks in and you just do what you have to do. Now copper heads are a different story.
Oh and we cleaned out that storage space so there isn't anything to hide under behind or in any longer.

Last edited:
That's not a Rat Snake, it's a Black Racer Snake and a much more nasty snake. They are aggressive. They aren't venomous but will bite and draw blood. There's a great video on Youtube with a boy and girl holding two side by side to show you how to identify them and it shows the difference in termperaments too. They can climb straight upward. I've seen one stand straight up on only the last inch a half of his tail. Bugger fell out of the CEILING when we renovated our farmhouse! My poor son caught him because he thought it was wire falling out of the ceiling. It was the widest awake I've ever been first thing on a Sunday morning, once that snake flew across the room! LMBO I saw a different 6 ft long Black Racer Snake going along the foundation of my children's music school. It started to explore a hole in some phywood covering a basement window, no bigger than a DIME! I wasn't worried because I didn't think it could get inside, till I realized it actually was! Had to go break the bad news to the maintenance guy that he better call somebody or possibly die of a heart attack... We have a TON of these Black racer Snakes in Missouri and their climbing ability is amazing. This is why I made my whole coop of 1/4 inch hardware cloth. If any get inside, hubby is going to be lining it with 1/8 inch LMBO!! Be careful you don't leave your run door open if you let birds outside or leave your coop door open. Saw that one owner had a snake get inside open coop door and poor birds got locked inside all night with the snake and traumatized....

That's not a Rat Snake, it's a Black Racer Snake and a much more nasty snake. They are aggressive. They aren't venomous but will bite and draw blood. There's a great video on Youtube with a boy and girl holding two side by side to show you how to identify them and it shows the difference in termperaments too. They can climb straight upward. I've seen one stand straight up on only the last inch a half of his tail. Bugger fell out of the CEILING when we renovated our farmhouse! My poor son caught him because he thought it was wire falling out of the ceiling. It was the widest awake I've ever been first thing on a Sunday morning, once that snake flew across the room! LMBO I saw a different 6 ft long Black Racer Snake going along the foundation of my children's music school. It started to explore a hole in some phywood covering a basement window, no bigger than a DIME! I wasn't worried because I didn't think it could get inside, till I realized it actually was! Had to go break the bad news to the maintenance guy that he better call somebody or possibly die of a heart attack... We have a TON of these Black racer Snakes in Missouri and their climbing ability is amazing. This is why I made my whole coop of 1/4 inch hardware cloth. If any get inside, hubby is going to be lining it with 1/8 inch LMBO!! Be careful you don't leave your run door open if you let birds outside or leave your coop door open. Saw that one owner had a snake get inside open coop door and poor birds got locked inside all night with the snake and traumatized....
I thought it left but it is back, sigh. Thank you for helping me identify it. It is greater than 6 feet long. I'm hopeful there is enough food that he will leave my ducks alone. I don't have the guts to move this big guy. Here's a picture of him hanging out in the goat window. 😓

Attachments

• 0608212048c.jpg
    0608212048c.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom