Snakes in the coop

Lpearl42

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Candler, NC
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has run into this issue. I know that snakes can eat small chicks and eggs, however, I'm dealing with a rat snake in particular. It's not very big for a rat snake. Less than 4 ft. It killed two 6 week old chicks in the coop. Did not eat them. Just killed them. And I set up my coop and run to protect them from predators. I honestly thought they were safe. Snakes are considerably harder to keep out. Any tips or advice are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has run into this issue. I know that snakes can eat small chicks and eggs, however, I'm dealing with a rat snake in particular. It's not very big for a rat snake. Less than 4 ft. It killed two 6 week old chicks in the coop. Did not eat them. Just killed them. And I set up my coop and run to protect them from predators. I honestly thought they were safe. Snakes are considerably harder to keep out. Any tips or advice are welcome. Thank you in advance.
That's odd it did not eat them. Granulated Sulphur around the perimeter of ur coop...do not let ur chickens eat the Sulphur tho. Many old timers say that the Sulphur gives the snakes a deep like sunburn, and the snakes will not cross the Sulphur line because it burns them. Have not tried this myself but heard it works.

Same problem here, only we haven't lost any (no chicks in that coop). Just creeping around the roosts making the big birds upset.
Last night my mom and I went in to extract it... well, I say "we", but my job was to hold the door open and point the flashlight. She's from Australia so...
Anyway, that coop is a converted 20 ft shed divided into 3, so mom was slowed down by doors when the snake got the idea someone was after it. Somehow, unbelievably, all 5 feet of it just disappeared, though we searched the coop (nestboxes, ceiling, etc.) and couldn't find it's bolt hole either. We kinda like that it's around since we're dealing with rats, but I'd like to exclude it from the coop. Just waaay too hot to dig out all the bedding and do a thorough search for point of entry.

I walked into the coup the other day and a big black snake was actively hunting my 5 week old chicks. They're big enough that I doubt the snake could have eaten them but it sure wanted to try.

I usually leave black snakes alone but that one got a .22 to the head.

Any way to keep your chicks a bit more secure until they grow? Snakes around here are usually going after mice, although I don't have chicks to entice them otherwise. I've pulled rat snakes out of coops at night check in years past but they had to be going after eggs. I did a rattlesnake "relo" last month but he was small. Placed him on the exotic ranch a couple miles from us. ;)

Any way to keep your chicks a bit more secure until they grow? Snakes around here are usually going after mice, although I don't have chicks to entice them otherwise. I've pulled rat snakes out of coops at night check in years past but they had to be going after eggs. I did a rattlesnake "relo" last month but he was small. Placed him on the exotic ranch a couple miles from us. ;)

Yes. I actually got a pop up puppy play pen that is well ventilated but has no exit/entry with the door zipped up. I honestly thought they were big enough to be safe. I feel like a failure. 😞

I walked into the coup the other day and a big black snake was actively hunting my 5 week old chicks. They're big enough that I doubt the snake could have eaten them but it sure wanted to try.

[/QU

I'm regretting letting the snake live. I did move it to the far outskirts of my property. I have since moved the chicks to a pop up puppy play pen. I'm so mad/sad about the situation. I know they are extremely vulnerable. My coop is solid and the run is 1 inch chicken wire all the way around, completely covered on top and buried 14 inches into the ground along the perimeter. Clearly it's not extreme protection for ALL predators. 🥺

Depends on the coop materials. Wire should be small square loops, smaller the better. If the coop is a free standing style you can put wire on the bottom. If it rains a snake can find the smallest point and basically tunnel it’s way in. If you use corrugated tin like I have. Use those matching corrugated wood slats to mount them. That dent or curve in the tin can be used by the snake. Think you get the picture, if your finger can fit so can the snake.

Depends on the coop materials. Wire should be small square loops, smaller the better. If the coop is a free standing style you can put wire on the bottom. If it rains a snake can find the smallest point and basically tunnel it’s way in. If you use corrugated tin like I have. Use those matching corrugated wood slats to mount them. That dent or curve in the tin can be used by the snake. Think you get the picture, if your finger can fit so can the snake.

Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom