Snakes in the coop

One of our ceramic fake eggs went missing about 3 days ago. I searched the entire coop (my chickens have previously rolled the fake eggs out of their nesting boxes). Didn't find the fake eggs. Thought the chickens rolled the fake egg out and it was covered by the thick chicken bedding.
Until ... last night, when I went to lock the chicken coop up. Big old black snake with white spots with a bulging stomach hiding in the cinder block (used to elevate chickens waterer and food). Pulled the snake out with a grabber - it was about 4 ft long. Did I mentioned snakes CREEPS me out? :eek:
Chopped off the head of the snake and into the garbage can, will spend the money to get another fake ceramic egg. It's just not worth trying to get it back from the snake's stomach.

Feel bad my chickens had been sleeping with the stinking snake for a few days. I don't know how the snake got in. My coop is inside the chicken run, and I have electric fence perimeter outside of the run. Although part of the perimeter and run is under 2 trees (for shade). So, perhaps snake glide up the tree and down into the run and coop?

Will definitely try the Granulated Sulphur suggested by @KaTim0719
@TheDawg : My coop is inside the chicken run (with chicken wire). If I were to change to 1/2 inch hardware cloth, presumably I'll need to cover the whole run including the top parts, correct? Snakes can slither up and drop in from the top? Or will the bottom x feet is sufficient? Thank you

Edit: Anyone tried this before - Colton's Naturals

Last edited:
Snakes will kill full grown ducks and chickens. I try to snake proof everything after I found out the hard way. Had a broody muscovy that got killed and it had to be a snake. It tried to swallow her and couldnt. Her head and neck were wet. She was dry everywhere else. I can't imagine what she went through and how scared she was. I blame myself for not taking care of the snake to start with. I thought it would be good to eat rats. I had no idea it would murder a full grown muscovy hen. We have a strict NO SNAKE RULE now. I love all creatures on this earth, but I have a loyalty to my flock. They come first. I can't have it murdering my family.

Back
Top Bottom