Snakes!!!! Someone Help Me!!! PIC!!!

Keni*Sue

Songster
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Campobello
i have had to cochin chicks that have been partially eaten by a snake that were in the same coop!!! neither was fully eaten. i am wondering do the snakes remember where they are? remember their scent and then come back for more later? one happened a week ago and the other today. the reason that i am confused is because i have moved them after the first was killed and then i find that other today. it was obvious that it was too big to swollow. so did it remember the others scent and then come back to them? but less that 10 feet away were chicks that a snake could easily get to and swollow bc they are little, why didnt it get to them???

30681_2dc.jpg

Last edited:
They are not the mindless predators that many make them out to be. They have tagged Diamondbacks before and found that they return to the same dens to over winter year after year.

Take some of the netting for fruit trees that can be bought at Wal Mart and wad it yp at the base of the coop. But be prepared for the snake to get caught in it with no escape.

Also did you check the coop really well? Big snakes can hide in small places. You could have moved coop, snake and all.

Quote:
i changed the coops completely i left the other still sitting where it was and put the remaining 2 in something i thought the couldnt get in... i was wrong
sad.png

They have incredibly good smell. If you allow them to free range, the snake can follow their scent back to the coop. They may not go far from the coop after feeding, even an attempt. It would not surprise me if it isn't under the coop, if it has a floor.

They feed both during the day or at night. I heard of one person catching one by putting eggs inside a cage with narrow gaps between the bars. The snake was able to get in, but after eating the eggs, couldn't fit back out through the bars. Now, the snake pushes points on their vertebrae hard onto the swallowed eggs, eventually breaking the eggs. After digesting the egg, it regurges the shell fragments. You would have to check the "cage" often.

I really feel for you and wish you much luck on getting this rascal.

Heres something that may help! Take a bunch of 24 oz plastic soda bottles and poke them full of holes. Then put a bunch of moth balls in them. Put the top back on tight and place them in your coop....and under it! Just make the holes small enough that the chickens/chicks can't get their beaks in the holes! Snakes hate the moth balls!
The bottle trick makes it safe for you to use the moth balls without your chickens getting to them!
Hope this helps! Sorry about your losses! I would be just sick!

Back
Top Bottom