Snap and Lock coop

Almost impossible to see any part of the coop but I'm opening up the nest box lid to shoot this. This was my broody and her three babies inside when I used it as a maternity ward. I just put a log in front of the door for everyone to use to get in and out. And put up a portable fence outside to keep them separate from the big hen until everyone was comfortable with each other.

http://www.adirondackstoragebarns.com/chicken-coops

These guys had the best price on the Amish built coops. I bought the 3' x 4' so the same size as the Snap Lock. As you can see, same price. Only these Amish built coops are WAY better. But I will say that the 3'x4' is SMALL. Three full sized birds max in there.

And due to the darn chicken math, I now have 6 so I REALLY wish I had bought the next size larger coop.

http://www.adirondackstoragebarns.com/chicken-coops

These guys had the best price on the Amish built coops. I bought the 3' x 4' so the same size as the Snap Lock. As you can see, same price. Only these Amish built coops are WAY better. But I will say that the 3'x4' is SMALL. Three full sized birds max in there.

And due to the darn chicken math, I now have 6 so I REALLY wish I had bought the next size larger coop.
I looked at your link and can't find a coop in the price range of the Snap Lock. Am I missing it? Which one do you have? I paid $450 (free shipping) for the standard size Snap Lock.

I am a first time chicken keeper and bought the Snap Lock standard size coop. It looked easy to clean and fast to assemble. My four chicks are only a bit over a month old so they are still small plus the coop is in our garage. They go outside into a covered run during the day. They have plenty of room in the coop now but I'll let you know how things are when they are full grown. As of NOW:
Pros: easy to move around, in/out of garage, up/down from a table. Easy to open back and clean out tray, or rack it over. Locks seem secure.

Cons: the roof that opens over the nest boxes doesn't prop open. I have to use a piece of wood to get it to not hit me in the head. Can't reach the chicks if they are being shy. No way to attach a hanging feeder/waterer inside. Next boxes are not independent so you have to keep 3 when I just need 1.

Things I'm going to watch for: are the openings where the plastic didn't fit PERFECTLY together, though very small, safe- are the openings for the vents safe (from predators). Will it get too warm in the summer, I'll keep it shaded but it gets rather hot and humid here. Will it stand up to high winds.

I may have rushed into buying it but am hoping that when we set it outside in a large, protected run, it will work well.

I am sorry about my first post being such a bummer.... but how hot does it get in there on a hot sunny day? Sorry if I missed someone else talking about this. They are cute little urban chicken coops tho.

I am sorry about my first post being such a bummer.... but how hot does it get in there on a hot sunny day? Sorry if I missed someone else talking about this. They are cute little urban chicken coops tho.
That's what I'm going to be watching for- this is my first time with chickens and summer hasn't arrived in this part of the midwest yet. When I have more info on this coop with time, I will post about it. I'd love to hear from other people who have experience with the Snap Lock.

I looked at your link and can't find a coop in the price range of the Snap Lock. Am I missing it? Which one do you have? I paid $450 (free shipping) for the standard size Snap Lock.

Well, I think prices have gone up. I bought my Amish built coop 3 years ago now. I bought the Snap Lock coop about two years ago and I think prices have really gone up on the wooden coops. I ordered mine from here and the price is now up to $733.

http://www.adirondackstoragebarns.com/pet-structures/aframe-chicken-coop

Well, I think prices have gone up. I bought my Amish built coop 3 years ago now. I bought the Snap Lock coop about two years ago and I think prices have really gone up on the wooden coops. I ordered mine from here and the price is now up to $733.

http://www.adirondackstoragebarns.com/pet-structures/aframe-chicken-coop
Ok I see now! I was looking at the base prices of the first few on the list... the $6000 ones! $733 isn't THAT much more than $450 given that yours looks fancier, more like what I'd like- in the rustic, natural sense. We live close to a large Amish population and happen to be going up there today. That's where we buy our furniture and you're right, NOTHING is like Amish-made things. One of our dining room chairs weighs more than our whole set used to! I'll keep my eyes out for chicken things.

Hi
I have both the standard and large Snap-locks and also an egglu cube. I did not want to deal with wood! I actually like the snap-locks better than the egglu, mainly because it is easier to get it cleaned and when I got my cube they didn't have walk in runs. The standard Snap lock is only big enough for 4-5 full size chickens to sleep in, not live in. I have mine in an 8 x 12 dog run and love it. It is up on the stand I built from the directions on the snap lock page. I built a ladder for them to climb up. I use the brite tap waterers on a few bricks on the ground and food hangs under the coop. I live in California and this weekend we had temps of 107. Since mine is in a secure dog run, I leave the coop door open at night when it is really hot. Most times it is fine inside by the time them get in unless it is in the triple digits. It was plenty warm this winter (we only get down in the 30's occasionally. I use my large snap lock in the same way. I have 8 large fowl in it now, 6 large fowl in the egglu cube and 5 large fowl in the standard snap lock. I do not keep food or water in any of the coops, just the runs. My chickens all free range from about 7am till they put themselves to bed around 8:30.
Anyway, I love my snap locks and wouldn't rade them for wood, even though wood is certainly nicer looking!

Hi
I have both the standard and large Snap-locks and also an egglu cube. I did not want to deal with wood! I actually like the snap-locks better than the egglu, mainly because it is easier to get it cleaned and when I got my cube they didn't have walk in runs. The standard Snap lock is only big enough for 4-5 full size chickens to sleep in, not live in. I have mine in an 8 x 12 dog run and love it. It is up on the stand I built from the directions on the snap lock page. I built a ladder for them to climb up. I use the brite tap waterers on a few bricks on the ground and food hangs under the coop. I live in California and this weekend we had temps of 107. Since mine is in a secure dog run, I leave the coop door open at night when it is really hot. Most times it is fine inside by the time them get in unless it is in the triple digits. It was plenty warm this winter (we only get down in the 30's occasionally. I use my large snap lock in the same way. I have 8 large fowl in it now, 6 large fowl in the egglu cube and 5 large fowl in the standard snap lock. I do not keep food or water in any of the coops, just the runs. My chickens all free range from about 7am till they put themselves to bed around 8:30.
Anyway, I love my snap locks and wouldn't rade them for wood, even though wood is certainly nicer looking!
Hi frisbeeking,

Hey welcome to BYC forum~

Just went to the Snaplock link -- to look over the stand - and they have posted plans since the last time I was there .... when I first got my small one, they didn't show plans for the stand...so glad that they did that, it will make it easier for me to build a stand. yay-snaplock. Then I came to BYC to hear people's experiences.... I guess for those who say it looks too small....they must have chickens that stay IN.... My chickens go in to lay eggs and roost - and that's it for coop time for them. What I need is good nest boxes that they like, and security overnight. It's great for folks who want carpenter built coops and don't move their coops around...but everyone has their own method of chicken keeping....

And......
I'm like you - I have eglu products - (have had Cube, modern dog-house style, and lucky-me an Eglu Classic, all three --Love the Classic for its funkyness and will keep it forever.)

Last year, I bought small Snaplock -- I don't want to have to treat wood, and I don't want to have wood-crevices where mites can hang out until they get on my chickens at night...and I don't want to do the wood maintenance. I appreciate how light the Snaplock is when I need to move it ---- I wouldn't be able to heft a wood coop of the same size. Small Snaplock 40-pounds, I hear the large is 60-pounds. That said...one of the evil prairie winds blew my small snap lock off a table--but the wind here also tipped over a rabbit hutch ...dunno how it is so evil... I need to not set it on a table where the wind howls, and to put a tie down on it.

The Cube is nice because of the attached run. My chickens are always safe...and the doors here in this hot climate can remain open all night. Now with Snaplock, and no attached run, I secure all the openings each night with carabiners that they provide....nice touch. Have only been using the small for a few days -- since I got my chickens back from their summer camp.

In the small Snaplock, I take the cleaning door completely out during the hot days here.....(sadly coop sits in the sun until afternoon -- we don't have any decent shade around unless it is provided by a building...) I could put a thermometer in there and see how hot the interior of SnapLock gets...I suspect hot -- the temps have been 110,108,107 here in the heat of the day. The three nest boxes are nice. I see that the big one has 4 nesting boxes.

The pull out trays are so easy to clean --especially if you use PDZ or Stall dry in the trays it is like kitty-litter and in a 1-minute poop scoop into the compost pile the coops are spotless. If there were a secure easy to attach run, for the Snaplock, like the Eglu has -- it would be the perfect coop....and made in USA. Eglu - customer service, not so great, packaging for shipping - leaves something to be desired. Luckily the Eglus are built like a tank (one of the Cubes I got had a small hole punched through one of the plastic layers with a forklift tine -- some forklift driver really screwed up --and Eglu didn't even respond when I asked them the best way to "patch". Finally, I just put sail tape over the hole and it has been going strong for ever since...but I ended up selling that Cube. Both Eglu and SnapLock are double insulated plastic. SnapLock is much thinner plastic...hence much lighter. Assembly was a reall cinch -- it didn't require any tools. I wonder if it can successfully be disassembled? Anyone ever do that?

TheSpoiledChicken shortened my already short cleaning routine with this post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...graphic-gross-poop-pictures/780#post_10912968

Everything is explained in the first few posts -- but people keep converting and asking etc. etc. so the thread will be endless LOL.

frisbee king - if you read this -- are the bases for the Snaplock the same size for small and large?? I could sure use the shade underneath for my chooks -- and hanging a feeder and water under would be nice too--- then all I would need is a ramp and a big enclosure around it and it would be chicken heaven.

Back
Top Bottom