Snapping turtle getting my ducklings!!!

I had the same problem. I took paracord and a large weight and treble hook to make a hand line. Put a piece of chicken on the hook, tied it to my dock, tossed in the water over night. Pulled four 12-15" snappers out of our pond over about 2 weeks. They will continue even after the ducks are grown. The turtle would come up a bite off their feet at night. Not a pretty sight. Haven't had any issues after removing turtles

I would do similar to what they did above with the line and the dock. Take strong fishing line, and I'd use a leader so the turtle beak can't cut the line, and tie a treble hook on. You can tie the line to anything durable. Tree branches, big logs, etc.

Bait the hook with chicken liver or anything meaty. You can clamp on a splitshot sinker to keep it down. Toss the line out into the water and leave it. Doesn't even have to be that deep. The turtles will find it.

Can catch the HECK out of them this way. Just check your lines regularly. The turtles on the end of the line won't be happy, lol.

Get on it and get rid of them!

Last edited:
I am having same issues with snappers here but with my chickens on land. The turtles are laying eggs now and I saw one just next to our run/coop staring at my chickens. I haven't lost any yet but i did remove the snapper to the creek we have on our land, but i am sure she will come back. I heard they are very agile in the water so best to catch em on the ground. I would just kill em when you find em and make soup like the others have said. Watch for the babies too. They get hatched here and you can see them making a trail from the sandy dirt to the creek in a line. More that hatch and make it to water, more that we have to deal with. Ugg!

barnie.gif
Hi- last night I went looking for my little Muchovie duck- she flies to the pond every day and walks back at night with me behind her to be locked in with he siblings- She has been doing this for years- well I cant' find her anywhere. Just saw a snapper wading in the pond(pond is not that big) but I think she might have been taken- I am sick! I know years ago the turtles killed babies in the pond and I could not help-Would anyone tell if this would be the case again? Thanks

Sorry to hear about your duck hopefully you found her. I have a snapper get one of my ducks in my pond this morning. My husband had into go to the pond to help her. when he got to her and pick her up. The snapper was still attached to her foot. He had to punch the turtle in the back. To get it off the duck. I clean her foot and put her toe back in her socket. Her web on her foot is torn. My poor duck. I'm hoping she will make it. This is the second time I had to nurse my ducks back to health. I hate those snapping turtles.

Back
Top Bottom