Sneaking chicks under a broody/mamma hen...

ray2310

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Smithfield, PA
I have 1 week old chicks (hatched/being raised by a broody momma)
we only have 4 chicks (from 12 eggs).. and would like to add more chicks.

Has anyone added additional chicks under a momma hen after her chicks hatched 1-2 weeks?
(it would be so much easier since she has a separate coop/run for the next 10 weeks)

thanks in advance for your help.

We do it a lot without a problem, but not as late as two weeks and not with chicks differing in age by more than a couple of days.

While chickens and counting don't appear to be the best of buddies, after a couple of weeks I think they know roughly how many they're supposed to have. I think even the most innumerate of hens would notice another dozen chicks appearing one night

All I can suggest is that, if you try it, try it with one or two first, perhaps smearing some of mother hens poop onto them (for a more homely smell) and slip them in to her just after dark. She might take them, she might just ignore them or ... she might peck them, possibly to death.

If you are going to buy baby chicks to put under her then you'd be breaking the 30 day quarantine 'rule' and could be risking your own chicks and their mothers health. If they are your own chicks then it shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom