Sneaky chicken hatched some chicks!!

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
One week ago I was doing my morning chores in the coop and heard a scratching noise behind a wall space. I had to clim up on the roost bars and reach way back behind a wall space to pull out my bantam white faced black spanish chicken which I thought just fell accidentally back there trying to roost way up. After I had her out she ran outside and I started to heard the beeping…….. OMG, she hatched out some chicks back there!!!! Sure enough I pulled out 3 baby chicks, stuffed them into my coat pocket to keep warm and scrambled to set up a brooding area for the little family. After setting everything up I caught mommy hen and reunited her with the babies. Thankfully she is a very good mom and takes excellent care of the little ones.

Here some pictures :)

First pictures was right after I set up the brooding area and the last two pictures I took today, chicks are 9 days old. The little yellow one seems to be the rascal in the group ;-)

Great news like that is always welcome. That tiny little yellow chick is so adorable looking out. Mama is beautiful, who do you think is the dad?

Still mama hen should have left a note for you to let you in on things.
ya.gif

Don't know who's the daddy. I have 3 roosters, all bantams. One Buff Brahma, One Easter Egger and One Old English Game.
I guess I can rule out the Brahma, no feathered feet on any of the chicks. My easter egger rooster is black with some buff/gold around the neck. The Old English Game is white and red.
Since there is one yellow/white chicks I assume it was the Old English Game. But they do have their moms white ear lobes :)

Am a little nervous today since it is the first day that I opened their enclosed brooding area to the rest of the coop. It was just separated with plastic chicken wire so the flock's seen the babies the last couple days. Still nervous and checking on them every 30 minutes to make sure everybody is safe. So far mom is doing a good job!

I have probably around 20 standard size and 10 bantams. Kinda lost count …. ;-)
Originally I planned to keep only 1 rooster or non at all but they all seem to get along great so I just kept them.

Back
Top Bottom