Sneezing Americana

You could try colloidal silver. A drip or two on the beak by her nose so she breathes it in and some in the beak to coat her mouth and throat. It's not cheap to buy. Some people make it. I found it at GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. When I looked up sneezing it's lists a multitude of respiratory issues. Generally with the "antibiotics don't work" summary. I do feed mine garlic or give them garlic water. I haven't had problems with it. I use fresh but powdered can also work. Just not garlic salt. Oregano or oregano oil are also supposed to be very good. Fresh is better and again the oil can be on the expensive side.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/symptoms

Check out the Poulty Symptom Checker. It can be helpful and sometimes overwhelming.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be cures for respiratory problems. The safest and easiest answer for large operations is cull. It has been thought that smaller backyard flocks have a better immunity to illness. I personally think of them as egg laying pets so culling is a last resort for me.

I would make sure they are all drinking well and eating. Try feeding some wet chicken feed with a little egg and plain Chobani yogurt mixed in, which will get fluids and probiotics into them. If one is very sick, you could try the Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally 0.2 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days. A 5 pound chicken would get 1 ml.

I would make sure they are all drinking well and eating. Try feeding some wet chicken feed with a little egg and plain Chobani yogurt mixed in, which will get fluids and probiotics into them. If one is very sick, you could try the Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally 0.2 ml per pound twice a day for 5 days. A 5 pound chicken would get 1 ml.
Yes sorry. Was not meaning to say don't do antibiotics. (There are days I want to mix a whole bottle of tylan into their water and let them all have a good measure for my sanity. I get so worried about my feathered kids.)

So pretty much just keep a close eye on them and see if they get worse? They all seem to be eating and drinking normally.

Yes sorry. Was not meaning to say don't do antibiotics. (There are days I want to mix a whole bottle of tylan into their water and let them all have a good measure for my sanity. I get so worried about my feathered kids.)
No need to be sorry. We all are just giving our opinions here. Well some people refuse to ever treat chickens with antibiotics, no matter what. It can be hard to tell IB from MG, but if the eyelids are swollen or there is drainage, MG could be more likely. Tylan is good for MG, but doesn't affect viruses like IB.

My parents used yarrow with success on respiratory issues i gave them a few chickens then they went nuts but they use natural stuff 99% of the time as they have a nursery.

No need to be sorry. We all are just giving our opinions here. Well some people refuse to ever treat chickens with antibiotics, no matter what. It can be hard to tell IB from MG, but if the eyelids are swollen or there is drainage, MG could be more likely. Tylan is good for MG, but doesn't affect viruses like IB.
I guess I'm frustrated with the similarities of everything respiratory. I've had few with a sneeze here or there. No one has ever stopped eating or drinking, gotten crusty anything or swollen. Sometimes a wet sneeze but after getting a drink... I'd expect a little wetness. Or a sneeze after plucking at flowering plants where I can see the pollen flying. Yep, I'd sneeze too. Then with antibiotics being mostly useless on some things and a great plan for others:barnie It's so hit or miss with some chicken illness. I want my chickens to talk sometimes. Then again I have a few who don't shut up now! LOL

Back
Top Bottom