Sneezing and Wheezing Chicken

LittleBoPeep1

Songster
6 Years
Mar 12, 2015
I have a hen who is about eight months old that is sneezing and breathing through her mouth. When she inhales, her beak is closed, but when she exhales she opens her beak. Her breathing looks pretty labored and she makes a wheezing noise when she does this. Also, she is sneezing quite a bit, maybe once every two minutes. She has had raspy breathing for about a week. She is possibly a little lethargic, but is eating and drinking, and she is laying an egg. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Are you seeing any foamy eye drainage or nasal mucus? Most respiratory diseases are either viral or bacterial, but can also be fungal. If it is bacterial or mycoplasma it may respond to antibiotics such as Tylan, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin. MG, infectious bronchitis, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis are some of the common diseases. Many can make carriers of your flock.

No foamy eye, but maybe a little nasal drainage. I do see her wiping her head on the ground a lot. She does scratch at her head more than usual. Thank you for your response:)

Oh no! I think my little hen is getting worse. She seems to be sneezing more, looks all ruffled up, maybe a little lethargic, is not eating is much, and is scratching underneath her beak A LOT! Any help I could get on her case would be great. Thanks

If you can buy some Tylan 50 at your local feed store, and give it to her 1/2 ml for under. 5 lb, and 1 ml for over 5 lb, twice a day by mouth for 5 days. Get some syringes and some 20 gauge needles to withdraw it from the vial. Since she is getting lethargic she probably won't drink well enough. I would also start giving her some water weith electrolytes and vitamins, and give her some egg chopped up with her feed. Make sure that she is warm or bring her inside.

Can tylan 50 be used with ducks? I've got sneezing coughing chickens and they all share the same water. How do you give it orally.

Back
Top Bottom