Sneezing/Nose bubbles

duckducksnooze

Hatching
Apr 30, 2024
Hi everyone,

New chick owner here. We picked up our chicks about 2 weeks ago and they ranged from a couple days old to about a week old. Approximately one week ago one or two of the chicks started sneezing. We read online to remove any dusty bedding so we did this first. Sneezing continued and then another chick started to sneeze. A couple of them had a bubble that would form from their nose when sleeping. We moved those chicks to a separate room and since then a few others from the main brooder have started to sneeze as well. We're hopeful that a vet can come by in the next day or two to give us an idea on what to do with these birds. Obviously we're concerned that they might have IB or CRD. All of the chicks that were initially sneezing and/or had nose bubbles seem to be doing fine now. There was a period where one was a little lazy and lethargic but she's seemingly back to 100% now.

We've doom-scrolled quite a bit over the past few days and would hate to have to cull the flock. We keep going back and forth on what we'll do if they happen to be IB or CRD positive. On one hand it seems like these infections are quite common and there are a lot of backyard flocks that might be positive, but if the right thing to do is to cull the flock we might do that.

Are there others here with a positive flock? How is that going for you or what did you do? We have ducklings that are a little over a week old that are in the basement in their own brooder, should I be concerned about their safety? I've read ducks are hardier but can still pick it up.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Hello! Greetings from my coop! :welcome

Had a chick that would start sneezing, and then the whole flock sneezed! But after a while, It died out and the chicks stopped sneezing, I also experienced the bubble nose thing and then once more they all stopped the next day! I do not know if I just got lucky but I would say let the vet check up on the chicks, If they do not detect anything then it's just a temporary thing, I would recommend trying electrolytes or something, just in case they are sick, especially to the ones you think are being lethargic

Hello! Greetings from my coop! :welcome

Had a chick that would start sneezing, and then the whole flock sneezed! But after a while, It died out and the chicks stopped sneezing, I also experienced the bubble nose thing and then once more they all stopped the next day! I do not know if I just got lucky but I would say let the vet check up on the chicks, If they do not detect anything then it's just a temporary thing, I would recommend trying electrolytes or something, just in case they are sick, especially to the ones you think are being lethargic

Thanks for your opinion!

Yes we've been putting electrolytes in the water since we got them! I also hadn't noticed a chick having the nose bubble for more than a day. It would seem like the chick(s) start sneezing one day and about a day and a half later they might get the nose bubble, but then we don't see the nose bubble again and the sneezes disappear.

Hopefully the vet calls us back soon because it will be nice to find out for sure.

Thought I'd bump this with an update.

The sneezes have 98% gone away. We did see another chick with a nose bubble briefly the other day. Everyone seems to be happy and doing well.

However, one of our chicks that's about 3-3.5 weeks old is now keeping her right eye closed almost all the time. She'll keep her left eye open when walking around, eating (most of the time), etc, but when resting likes to keep both eyes closed like she's in a bit of pain. Other than keeping her eye(s) closed, she seems to be her normal self. We have looked at her eyes very closely and there is no swelling in or around, no discharge, and there doesn't look to be anything in it. I saw an earlier post about a possible bacterial infection in her eyes so we'll look at getting some terramycin ointment to try out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for potential eye treatments?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom