Sneezing or Clearing Nares?

Thank you 😊
I have left mine on grower as I have drakes and don’t want to over calcium on the drakes.
I add crushed oyster shells in a side dish they have at all times
I started with pekin and khaki
I hatched 5 of their offspring
Then I added some Swedish ( blue , silver and one rare buff )
One of my first offspring got mom in the summer and I didn’t know but when I hatched that batch I ended up with white babies as well as one black that has green tinge on her head and slightly in her feathers ( named her emerald ) she is the only black one I have ever got
Those ones in the pool were a mix of my pekin x khaki and Swedish
This is my buff Swedish
Her mom was blue and dad was silver. The lady I got her from doesn’t own any buff so not even a cross breed. But one of her blue moms was carrying the buff gene
She looks fully Swedish size and shape including laying eggs with the greenish / blue tinge to the eggs
But her buff colour is not what you see often
My silver also lays eggs with the greenish / blue tinge
My husky guards her ducks all day
Ok so over doing the calcium is not good for drakes. That’s good to know. I just called my feed store about our feed and it’s a starter grower mix that has a supplement mix with niacin. The owner said to wait to give oyster shell until they are older and that they don’t really need grit right now because or feed is ground. He said the food also has a probiotic to help with digestion. He said start grit and oyster shell when they are a few weeks older (at 1 week now). Any thoughts on that?

Your ducks are so pretty!! I love the buffs (part of the reason I started with them)

Ok so over doing the calcium is not good for drakes. That’s good to know. I just called my feed store about our feed and it’s a starter grower mix that has a supplement mix with niacin. The owner said to wait to give oyster shell until they are older and that they don’t really need grit right now because or feed is ground. He said the food also has a probiotic to help with digestion. He said start grit and oyster shell when they are a few weeks older (at 1 week now). Any thoughts on that?

Your ducks are so pretty!! I love the buffs (part of the reason I started with them)
I started grit when I started treats around 3 weeks
They don’t have chic grit where I am so I waited till they could handle regular grit
In the summer my ducks hardly
Touch the grit as they get plenty from the ground but in the winter they are eating it a lot more. I keep that bowl full at all times
I didn’t start oyster shells till 4 months
My girls usually start laying around 4.5 months
They will eat it as they need. My few that didn’t start laying till a week ago just started to eat the oyster shells now and they are 6 months

I started grit when I started treats around 3 weeks
They don’t have chic grit where I am so I waited till they could handle regular grit
In the summer my ducks hardly
Touch the grit as they get plenty from the ground but in the winter they are eating it a lot more. I keep that bowl full at all times
I didn’t start oyster shells till 4 months
My girls usually start laying around 4.5 months
They will eat it as they need. My few that didn’t start laying till a week ago just started to eat the oyster shells now and they are 6 months
Ok perfect that seems to go along with what they told me. So we’ll wait on starting that for a few more weeks. And we’ll start oyster shells closer to laying.

Back
Top Bottom