Sneezing sniffles

ooRachyoo

In the Brooder
May 8, 2015
Devon England
Really hope someone can give me some advice my 8 month old chicken has got the sniffles a runny nose and keeps sneezing it's been about 3 weeks now she's still laying and does not seem to be in any stress she's her happy chirpy self still eating and drinking and following me everywhere it's just her nose, it gets very dirty from all the pecking so I've been cleaning it for her with salt water and cotton pads, I've used vet rx for the last 3 days but there is no improvement, I'm worried there might be something underlying
Hope someone can give me some advice Thank you

There are several respiratory diseases that chickens can get from a carrier bird or wild birds, or from us exposing them at shows, swaps, or tracking diseases home on our shoes. Infectious bronchitis, the most common disease, causes sneezing and a runny nose for 3-4 weeks, and may cause watery eggs and wrinkled egg shells. It is caused by a virus, and if she doesn't get any secondary infections, she should recover. Antibiotics will only help to prevent secondary bacterial infections that can complicate IB. IB is similar to other diseases such as a mild strain of MG, so without testing, you can olny guess what is wrong. IB makes chickens carriers for up to a year, while MG makes them carriers for life. Have you seen any of the other chickens sneezing? IB tends to run through the whole flock over a few weeks. Make sure that dust from feed or bedding is minimal, prevent wet or moldy conditions in your coop, and keep down ammonia odors that cause sneezing. Also make sure that you have good coop ventilation with windows or vents up high. Here is a good link to read about the various chicken diseases including IB: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you for your help, only 1 has the sniffles the other 2 are fine her eggs have been perfect , is it still ok to eat her eggs? I clean their poop up every day and do a big clean change the bedding and nest boxes once a week the get fresh food and water, I'm cautious to only buy dust free bedding, should I take her to a vet or just keep going with the vet rx ? And wait to see how she progresses

Back
Top Bottom