Sneezing, watery eyes

cmlew99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Massachusetts
My favorite buff brahma hen has suddenly developed concerning issues. She isn't lethargic or anything, but has watery, bubbling eyes, and a sneeze. What is this? What should I do at this point? I'm kind of freaking out, please help!

I haven't seen any nose discharge, her feathers are shiny and normal, and she isn't lethargic.

Last edited:
The watery, bubbly eyes and sneezing may be symptoms of some respiratory disease she's picked up. It never hurts to separate sick birds but if the others have been in contact with her up to now it may be to late at this point. That will be a judgment call on your part.

As far as treatment? Many of these diseases are viral and simply have to run their course. However, any time a bird gets sick with a respiratory problem it can very easily morph right into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections. Those problems usually kill the birds more often then the disease itself. For that reason it is usually a good idea to give antibiotic's to help prevent those complications. You can usually find Tylan 50 at Tractor Supply or other feed stores. It is an injectable but can also be given orally if needles aren't your thing. Dose is 1/2 cc for a standard size bird daily x 5 days. I would only treat birds that are showing symptoms. Tylan also comes in a water soluble powder but unless many birds are sick I'd go with the oral/injected dose and only treat symptomatic birds.

Keep in mind that there are many things this could be and without having lab work done it's almost impossible to know what she has. The antibiotic's won't cure it but will help prevent complications while she recovers. Depending on what she has she can remain a carrier anywhere from a year to indefinitely. She may also have relapses, again depending on what she has. Some of these things are much worse then others in that regard. We've treated for infectious bronchitis here in the past and never had a relapse. Other things seem to just keep coming back all the time.

Hope this info helps!

It does, thank you so much. Ive never dealt with needles, and this is my first time owning chickens... (I'm fifteen). Do you have any advice/tips on how to give the antibiotic orally?

Another question: right now I have her in a dog crate in my basement. Tomorrow, should I put her in a separate enclosure that I have outside? Or should she be in a warm place?

I hear ya, I'm not a needle person either, at all lol, so I give Tylan orally as well. Just get some needless syringes, 1 ml TB syringes are perfect. Feed stores or a pharmacy should have them. I buy them on Amazon and just keep them on hand. Then just draw up the 1/2 ml. It's best if you have someone to help you hold the chicken while you give the meds, hold the head with one hand, open the beak and slowly squirt the meds in from the side. Go slow and watch to see that the bird swallows. Always aim it to the side, not directly down the back of the throat where the esophagus is, you don't want them to suck it into their lungs.

As far as care, extra warmth, especially at night is always good and also if it's very cold/wet/snowy where you are. Whether or not to let her go outside depends on how she's feeling and how cold it is where you are. (I'm a CA girl so winter here is almost a non-event compared to what most of you deal with!) It might be best to keep her inside for a few days and see how she's doing at that point.

Also just keep an eye on the rest of your birds in case any more of them pop up with symptoms.

Last edited:
She's probably not going to appreciate it much! In the past when I've had birds with symptoms similar to your bird, but otherwise seem to feel fine, I've let them stay outside as long as they were protected from the weather. Birds that are feeling ill or have wheezing or rattling breathing, those birds I keep in my garage in a large dog crate with extra heat until they are feeling better.

So I let her be outside for the day. She hasn't gotten any worse, but she still sneezes and sounds a bit congested. I haven't seen any signs of this in the flock, so my fingers are crossed. I'll keep watching for signs of illness.

My dad took a trip to the Tractor Supply but there wasn't any Tylan 50 (just Tylan 200, etc…). The lady there recommended Duramycin 10, so thats what we have. Right now, she is alert enough and strong enough to drink. Can I just put it in her water for the day rather than force feed it to her? Or would it be better to make sure she got the full dose? If I do put it in her water, should I leave an alternative water source without the Duramycin 10?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom