So far not crowing

Feb 4, 2021
So when we decided to re-home our auracuna rooster, it wasn’t an easy decision. He was special, expensive , beautiful, but he crowed all the time. At cats, squirrels and daybreak. We live in the city. This was nerve wracking, to say the least. Long story short, we decided to set a clutch of eggs before he left. We chose mixed eggs from the buff Orpington hens and the auracuna hens. We didn’t have enough of just the auracuna eggs. we chose all short fat eggs to increase the likelihood of hens From both types of hens. We don’t mind mixed birds. So off he went and into the incubator went the eggs. We hatched 3 of 7 eggs. It was high summer and a few eggs weren’t developing due to high heat development /ac issues. Fast forward a few months. The three chicks have grown up. Two buff cross hens. Sweet and very beautiful. One “ hen” auracuna, gorgeous feathers.what is with the tail? Small arc of feathers. Hhhmmm. Quiet in the hen house. No crowing. May it’s a breed thing. I’ll look it up later. I am thinking that something is amiss, but no crowing. Hhhmmmm🧐? I made scrambled eggs today for breakfast. Then it hit me. The eggs are fertile. Fertile! Little bullseye, it’s right in front of me. That little stinker. He’s a rooster for sure. There are only hens in the coop besides him. I went out and took a good look at him for the first time in about two months. ( hubby takes care of them and the coop. He doesn’t care if they are make or female.) I asked hubby if he’d noticed. Yes. 🤯 He’s just was waiting for me to figure it out on my own I guess. 🤣. Fingers crossed that he doesn’t crow. If he stays quiet he can stay. Little sneaky stinker.

True. I'm also in the central valley, and it's only 62°F right now.
I know. Almost embarrassing with the rest of the country freezing. They are in a converted wooden play structure with attached run. She is a trooper. We don’t give extra light anymore, preferring a more natural style for them. Even so she laI’d about every third day all winter... one extra large light blue egg. She a great bird. I suspect that once her feathers started to go missing it made for easier footing for the rooster, hence her being the favorite.

One “ hen” auracuna, gorgeous feathers.what is with the tail? Small arc of feathers. Hhhmmm. Quiet in the hen house. No crowing. May it’s a breed thing.
Some lines/types of Araucana have no tails thus no tail feathers.
Pics of this bird, top side views would help.

Welcome to BYC! @Shannon Robinson50
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1613134684374.png

Back
Top Bottom