So frustrating- sold a rooster!

This is your opinion, you are entitled to it. But that isn't everyone's opinion. And that's okay. There's no need to be so defensive. Not everybody has the room to keep every cockerel that comes along. Different people have different ways of managing their flocks. Your way is not the only way, nor is it practical for every other chicken keeper.

I never specifically said my way is right, but I don't believe in killing roos based solely on their sex.

I think its not that they don't have the room, its just that they don't want to be bothered.

Also roos can be rehomed, I take in roos all the time myself.

I understand killing them for food if need be, but in my humble opinion killing them based on their sex is unfair.

I wasn't being defensive, but I felt attacked for having an opinion that appears to be in the minority. I know not everyone will like my opinion, but I have to stand by what's right.

I don't see it merely as an opinion, but more so choosing life for the birds.

It's not a waste to me to feed my Roos, humans are wasteful leaving tons of scraps feed em that.
My chickens are fed scraps and free range. But where I live, healthy, nutritional grass and bugs are available for 6 months out of the year if that. The rest of the year, they need feed as human food doesn't meet all their nutritional needs. Personally, I'm not willing to spend that much money on feed for a non-producing bird.
My hens are getting a long just fine, they are all separated.
Glad to hear that. Not everyone has the room to be able to do that.
I posted to give comfort, its not a bad thing to accidentally receive Roos.
I agree - it's not a bad thing to accidentally receive a rooster - if one has the room, time, and resources to keep one. And if it's legal to keep them. It's not legal everywhere.
You may think I don't have a farming mindset, and that's A okay... I do consider myself a farmer, My apologies for not recognizing you as a farmer. It's always nice to meet other farmers! I love hearing how other people run their operations. How many acres do you farm? What crops do you grow? Is your farm self-sustaining, or do you need to have a town job to supplement your farm income? but also a compassionate person.do not kill any of my livestock. If that bothers someone, unfortunately that's their problem. I have no problem at all with you not wanting to kill your pets. I simply wanted to point out that your opinion - and that's exactly what it is - an opinion - that "it's better to just keep them than eat them...." doesn't work for everyone. As far as being compassionate, my animals have a very good life here - right up until the day they die. Even then, it's not a whole bad day for them. Just a very few seconds during which I don't believe they have any idea what's happening and then it's over. I'd say the confusion they may be experiencing lasts less than 10 seconds. Much less than if they are nabbed by a predator or get to the point where they begin to suffer from health-related problems as can happen to an older chicken.
I have said my piece and will not continue this debate. I don't want to hijack the thread any further or take a chance on getting it shut down.
OP, I wish you all the best with whatever decision you make. You know what will work best for your flock and have to go with that.

I have over an acre, I raise my chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, etc on natural things with no added hormones.

I wasn't trying to debate at all, I just couldn't understand if you were being crudely sarcastic or not.

Discussing these differences is important. I am able to see things from both point of view. When these seemingly conflicting standpoints arise, my hope is that instead of debates that may lead to more trouble than they're worth, we can all take something from the conversation.

I continue this a little only to share what my thought process is concerning the bird in question. A few times I've wondered if there is a humane way to kill something. After all, the animal can't give its consent, and even if you offer a clean and quick death, you can hardly absolve the animal from all amounts of fear and pain. But we are omnivores, at least most of us, and when farming is your livelihood, your relying on the give and take of nature itself, which includes life and death. I wish we could always get our food from responsible and ethical practices such as the one Bobbi seems to run. I feel like this comes down to a dichotomy of "are they your profits or are they your pets." For me I know they fall more on the side of pets, so I wouldn't process them unless substantial problems occur between the roosters and hens, and a suitable home couldn't be found. For example, I wouldn't want my hens living in distress and the roosters ready to kill each other. (Naturally! Lol)

Shhhh, but this little guy has become by second favorite rooster. He may take first. They are assimilating as well as can be expected. Right now he has the option to free range during the day, but seems happy to lounge in the coop, strutting around while the others to peck around outside. He responds very well to touch, too.

Discussing these differences is important. I am able to see things from both point of view. When these seemingly conflicting standpoints arise, my hope is that instead of debates that may lead to more trouble than they're worth, we can all take something from the conversation.

I continue this a little only to share what my thought process is concerning the bird in question. A few times I've wondered if there is a humane way to kill something. After all, the animal can't give its consent, and even if you offer a clean and quick death, you can hardly absolve the animal from all amounts of fear and pain. But we are omnivores, at least most of us, and when farming is your livelihood, your relying on the give and take of nature itself, which includes life and death. I wish we could always get our food from responsible and ethical practices such as the one Bobbi seems to run. I feel like this comes down to a dichotomy of "are they your profits or are they your pets." For me I know they fall more on the side of pets, so I wouldn't process them unless substantial problems occur between the roosters and hens, and a suitable home couldn't be found. For example, I wouldn't want my hens living in distress and the roosters ready to kill each other. (Naturally! Lol)

Shhhh, but this little guy has become by second favorite rooster. He may take first. They are assimilating as well as can be expected. Right now he has the option to free range during the day, but seems happy to lounge in the coop, strutting around while the others to peck around outside. He responds very well to touch, too.

You have a pretty nice well thought out reply.

I guess I consider mine pets, also I've never been one for killing anything solely based on their sex.

Of course I understand if one needed to for meat, but killing a Roo because its a Roo is something I could never condone, I believe the owner should rehome the Roo. Also when people buy birds they know there is a slight risk of receiving a Roo, so in a sense wouldn't it be the owners issue and not the Roos? I mean that with all due respect.

If people have city ordinances that don't allow Roos maybe raising chickens ain't for them, because again there's always a slight chance of ending up with a Roo. As for having no room to raise Roos, the same thing would apply, again raising chickens probably isn't for them.

I have just over an acre and so far I have 12 Roos living together running free just fine, no fights, and they're no burden to me to feed. Also I just bought some more straight run chicks, AND I'm incubating some eggs. So basically if I do have more Roos welp that's no biggie they're definitely safe here.

I guess my post may have come off a bit crude, but I'm an open and blunt person, I never meant harm, but I stick by my morals. I think a bird should be killed for food when necessary, not for what sex they're born as... For some reason that bothers me as it can become a slippery slope, I won't further elaborate on that...

I guess I'm an equal opportunity carnivore. I don't butcher roosters just because they're male, I butcher them because they're non producing birds. I also butcher my older, non producing hens, or hens that have reproductive issues or simply don't lay well...... so no one can accuse me of being sexist
lol.png

I have dogs that roam the property to keep predators away. These dogs have a high prey drive and are out unsupervised most of the time, so I can't free range. So I need coops/pens for my birds, and they all need to be fed. Simply not interested in keeping a bunch of cockerels....even though they're beautiful and interesting animals.

Well that's sort of a plus, I guess mine are more so pets so even if they're not laying I still wouldn't kill em. I have a California White named Cali she's deformed where she hobbles, she hasn't laid an egg in a couple weeks, I love her too much to even consider it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom