So good to be here :)

beckyrasdf

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
My name's Becky, and my husband and I are planning on egg laying chickens for spring '15. We live in the suburbs, have a back yard with privacy fence and love fresh eggs
263a.png
. We'll most likely end up with 5 hens or so of a variety of breeds. I think half the fun will be watching them out our windows! We're very excited :)
We live in the western Chicago suburbs and would love any info on what folks have found work best for the weather we get. Also, if there are ever any 'chicken related events' we'd love to hear about them!

Hi Becky!

So glad you joined the BYC coop! There's lots of good peeps here. Ready to share all they know. All you have to do is ask.
1f601.png
All my girls let me maul (hug and kiss) them. Though they act like they hate it, I can't help but to notice that they kinda line up for it.
1f604.png
all waiting their turn!
1f602.png
I treat mine more like dogs. They even come when I call. Of course, lot of bread was involved! so glad you decided to joined. I hope you have lots of fun when you get your girls.
1f609.png

Welcome to BYC, Becky! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breed preferences?

Welcome to BYC, Becky! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breed preferences?

Hi there! We are considering: Australorps, Easter Eggers, barred Plymouth Rock, speckled Sussex, and Wyandotte. All supposed to be good layers, sweet temperament and cold weather hardy?? We'd love to have a mixed bunch (variety is 1/2 the fun for us!!). We want eggs and entertainment :) So now we're trying to do research on finding what breeds we can mix together. AND trying to figure out the coop situation! We unfortunately have never built anything ourselves and have big time constraints which would limit our ability to take on the project of building our own...so we're trying to determine what premade/store bought coop will work best for us (big enough for 5-6 hens, moveable and winter proof are our top concerns). It's a big world with a LOT of information!!!

Back
Top Bottom