So happy with how chickens are going :)

orpingtonnz

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
New Zealand
I got chickens last Thursday; a hen and her seven chicks.

When I picked them up the girl had lots of chickens in not the best conditions and they were in a cage less than 1m x 1m inside a farm shed.

For the last nine days they have been in the coop/shed which is 4mx2m and they seem really happy there. They seemed quite scared at the start but every day my toddler and I went in and sat down quietly and fed them some treats. I noticed the hen looks much healthier and glossier already, though I will need to treat her feet for mites.

Today we finally had the time to finish fencing a bit of the garden off as a run and let them out in the afternoon. I was a bit worried about how it would go and was antipating they might try to get through the fence or that I would need to chase them or that they would run away from me.

Anyway, they did so well! They barely left the immediate area for ages and then all lay in the sun outside the run. They weren't worried about us walking around them and let my toddler get so close that even she could have caught one if I let her. They just bumbled about and then they went back into the coop when I was giving it a refresh so I just shut the door and put them away again. I'm stoked with how well that went and while I'm sure they will get up to mischief in time I'm feeling pretty optimistic about how things will go with them, and that the chicks should grow up fairly friendly and calm :)

Just wanted to share my excitement as my partner is probably sick of hearing about them haha.

20230311_164815.jpg

I got chickens last Thursday; a hen and her seven chicks.

When I picked them up the girl had lots of chickens in not the best conditions and they were in a cage less than 1m x 1m inside a farm shed.

For the last nine days they have been in the coop/shed which is 4mx2m and they seem really happy there. They seemed quite scared at the start but every day my toddler and I went in and sat down quietly and fed them some treats. I noticed the hen looks much healthier and glossier already, though I will need to treat her feet for mites.

Today we finally had the time to finish fencing a bit of the garden off as a run and let them out in the afternoon. I was a bit worried about how it would go and was antipating they might try to get through the fence or that I would need to chase them or that they would run away from me.

Anyway, they did so well! They barely left the immediate area for ages and then all lay in the sun outside the run. They weren't worried about us walking around them and let my toddler get so close that even she could have caught one if I let her. They just bumbled about and then they went back into the coop when I was giving it a refresh so I just shut the door and put them away again. I'm stoked with how well that went and while I'm sure they will get up to mischief in time I'm feeling pretty optimistic about how things will go with them, and that the chicks should grow up fairly friendly and calm :)

Just wanted to share my excitement as my partner is probably sick of hearing about them haha.

View attachment 3428123
Omg,that’s such a nice story! I’m so happy they have a nice home now! There so cute!

Hopefully they are contented there and don't try to explore next door!

Oh hopefully they don’t I have a flock of six and they always adventure to the neighbors yard! I feel so bad…luckily they are ok with them there and aren’t living there at the moment. Hopefully they never move out so they can go there lol if they move out we will have to put a fence down
🥲

Back
Top Bottom