So I learned somethings the hard way today.

Gypsydals

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Well my inexperience shined through today. And I learned somethings.
1. Chickens like to pick a favorite spot and lay. I moved our meaties out to the temporary pen. And was using a dog house for their coop. My one chicken, apparently likes to lay her egg in there and she was highly agitated that she couldn't get to the dog house.
2. Some chickens take great offence to you reaching under them to remove said egg. Especially if you have already irritated her.
3. Getting bit by the irritated chicken hurts ALOT. I will not be reaching under her again.

Last edited:
It is funny how upset hens get when they think they have found the perfect hidden nest, and then you go and ruin the secret for them, and stealing her eggs to top it off! How Could You! :lau

It is funny how upset hens get when they think they have found the perfect hidden nest, and then you go and ruin the secret for them, and stealing her eggs to top it off! How Could You!
lau.gif
Yea she was quite a bit upset that I dared to reach my hand in the box. I thought there was something wrong with her before she laid the egg. She was walking around with her beak open and her wings held out from her body, just looking frantic. I didn't realize taking away the dog house would upset her that much. Then she ended up not laying in the dog house but an old rabbit nest box right next to it. So now she has her choice, the dog house or the rabbit nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom