So I may have made a mistake during my hatch...

RottenFlower

In the Brooder
5 Years
I have a brinsea mini advance that I incubated 7 cream legbar eggs in. Five made it to lockdown.

I've had three hatch so far (and one with an external pip) and they were flailing and tripping all over their shells; it seemed very cramped, so I opened up and quickly removed their shells.

Now I'm wondering how badly I messed this up and whether or not my pipped chick is gonna make it. :(

Help, anyone?

PS: The hatched three are still in the incubator and are lively and loud.

I have a brinsea mini advance that I incubated 7 cream legbar eggs in. Five made it to lockdown.

I've had three hatch so far (and one with an external pip) and they were flailing and tripping all over their shells; it seemed very cramped, so I opened up and quickly removed their shells.

Now I'm wondering how badly I messed this up and whether or not my pipped chick is gonna make it. :(

Help, anyone?

PS: The hatched three are still in the incubator and are lively and loud.
I remove my chicks periodically through my hatch with no ill effects. Opening the bator highers the chances of shrink wrapping, it doesn't mean it will and if your humidity is already up in a good range you aren't going to loose enough with a quick sweep of chicks to drastically change the humidity. The more you open the more you up the chances. It's like driving, every time you get in the car you have a chance of an accident, the more you are in the car, the higher the chance. Relax and just keep an eye on the membrane. :)

Thank you.

The pipped chick hasn't progressed in quite some time, but I am trying not to worry about it too much. Just seems a little odd since the other three moved along fairly quickly. :/
I've had a couple chicks pip and zip within a few hours, I've had a couple take almost 24 hours. The majority of them though averaged 12-18. Each chick is different.

This all may be moot; I just found my incubator at 77F!
barnie.gif

I have absolutely no idea what happened; last I checked (about an hour ago), we were holding steady at 99.5F. The incubator was still on, and there hadn't been any power surges or anything.

If I lose my chicks because of this, I am going to be furious.
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

This all may be moot; I just found my incubator at 77F!
barnie.gif

I have absolutely no idea what happened; last I checked (about an hour ago), we were holding steady at 99.5F. The incubator was still on, and there hadn't been any power surges or anything.

If I lose my chicks because of this, I am going to be furious.
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
If they were 99 an hour ago and the temp fell to 77 then it hasn't been low enough long enough for the eggs to cool off to that temp, so they should be good, plus they are generating some of their own body heat. Is it coming back up now? What's the humidity?

The temp is back up to the 99.3F area, and my chicks seem much happier... up and moving and active and loud.

I honestly haven't been measuring humidity at all. :/

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it. This is my first time hatching out chicks and I haven't slept but an hour or two since 5am yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom