So I may have made a mistake

OrganicFarmWife

Crowing
Oct 21, 2015
No where Nebraska
I have 2 hens and a rooster Barr rock. I got them for layers. I had alot of loss this spring, I think I let my hens out to free range to early and the cats got them. So to increase my flock I bought 4 more pullets. I think I bought Cornish Cross, they are currently about 5 weeks old. I am now finding that Cornish Cross are meat birds? I did want to start raising meat birds, but was planning on waiting until this spring so I could pasture them.
If they are meat birds, can I not use them as layers? What do I need to know and do with them?

If they are female, they will lay eggs, but being Cornish X, they might develop heart problems or leg problems as they get older. Limiting feed consumption would help them. The people on here that have kept them for layers say they lay big eggs. Not going to be as productive as say a leghorn or something, but if they are what you have you might make the best of it. Personally, I would put them in the freezer and try to find some layers. You will get butchering practice for when you do a batch in the spring.

If they are female, they will lay eggs, but being Cornish X, they might develop heart problems or leg problems as they get older. Limiting feed consumption would help them. The people on here that have kept them for layers say they lay big eggs. Not going to be as productive as say a leghorn or something, but if they are what you have you might make the best of it. Personally, I would put them in the freezer and try to find some layers. You will get butchering practice for when you do a batch in the spring.

So what is a good age to butcher them?

8-12 weeks old they should be pretty large I have them they grow super fast and big generally they are for meat because of that if you free range them and feed them layer feed they should be fine it's more about letting them excersize( if you wish to keep them) if you want good layers rir or orpington's make awesome layers

8-12 weeks old they should be pretty large I have them they grow super fast and big generally they are for meat because of that if you free range them and feed them layer feed they should be fine it's more about letting them excersize( if you wish to keep them) if you want good layers rir or orpington's make awesome layers

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom