So I went into Tractor Supply today...

Pics

hungry hunter

Songster
Mar 9, 2016
the Heart of Texas
... and came home with these chicks.

I know it's way too early, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea about the "chipmunk" colored bantams. From what I've found on the interwebs they could be welsummer, EEs (they have yellow legs though), or brown leghorns.
20180221_163312.jpg 20180221_163322.jpg 20180221_163329.jpg
They also had Java chicks - or so they said - in a bin with black sex links. The gal there claimed they were all pullets, but I haven't been able to find any info about sexing these chicks based on color.
20180221_163431.jpg 20180221_163504.jpg
Could these be mottled instead of black Javas? I found a few pictures online but it was unclear which black and which were mottled.

Like I said, I know it's too early to tell for sure but I thought I'd post anyway. I'll also be updating with new pics as they get older if anyone is interested.

The bantams look just like my BBReds. Until their actual feathers come in it can be hard to tell. At a day old they can be vent sexed. There are some great YouTube clips on vent sexing. Or when their wing feathers come in you can wing sex (not guaranteed). Basically all long feathers is roo and staggered long short feathers is hen as hens typically have smaller wings. When their feathers come in and they mature you will see a color change between Roos and hens of specific breeds, like my BBReds, hens are brown with light lacing, and Roos have the iridescent tail feathers with red around the crop/neck/head. So really breed will be told in time and sexing can be "guessed" but may not be accurate. Time will tell....

The bantams look just like my BBReds. Until their actual feathers come in it can be hard to tell. At a day old they can be vent sexed. There are some great YouTube clips on vent sexing. Or when their wing feathers come in you can wing sex (not guaranteed). Basically all long feathers is roo and staggered long short feathers is hen as hens typically have smaller wings. When their feathers come in and they mature you will see a color change between Roos and hens of specific breeds, like my BBReds, hens are brown with light lacing, and Roos have the iridescent tail feathers with red around the crop/neck/head. So really breed will be told in time and sexing can be "guessed" but may not be accurate. Time will tell....
Thanks for the great info.

I knew a little about feather sexing, but was more curious if the male and female Java chicks had different coloring/markings at a day old. Similar to a sex-link or a few other breeds.

I don't feel confident in my ability to vent sex them. I have my doubts that they were checked before being shipped to TSC. At least at our local store, the only time pullets are labeled as pullets is when they are some sort of sex-link - otherwise it's straight run. That's what's got me curious about these Java chicks. The gal at the store was pretty adamant about them being pullets. I guess we'll find out for sure in a couple months....

Mottled is not a sex linked color. And yes, they are mottled. It could be that they ordered assorted pullets and got those or someone put in a special order and then didn't pick up... but I'd also be skeptical after seeing their "breed of the week" is always a straight run dual purpose type around here.

The little chipmunks are probably BBR Old English game in which case the males will get black chest feathers while the females get chestnut. It's usually obvious by 4 weeks. Bantams are only sexed through My Pet Chicken and are quite expensive there. TSC would have gotten them straight run from a cheaper supplier.

Mottled is not a sex linked color. And yes, they are mottled. It could be that they ordered assorted pullets and got those or someone put in a special order and then didn't pick up... but I'd also be skeptical after seeing their "breed of the week" is always a straight run dual purpose type around here.

The little chipmunks are probably BBR Old English game in which case the males will get black chest feathers while the females get chestnut. It's usually obvious by 4 weeks. Bantams are only sexed through My Pet Chicken and are quite expensive there. TSC would have gotten them straight run from a cheaper supplier.
Thanks for the help.
I knew the Bantams were straight run, as that's how they've always been at TSC.
I'm glad those are mottled Javas as they are quite handsome when they're grown.
I'm not sure what was going on with those chicks. This was the first batch of chicks this year at our store, and I was really surprised to see Javas. It's normally sex-link, broilers, RIRs, Orpingtons, etc. Hopefully at least one of the two is a hen.

Back
Top Bottom