So I went into Tractor Supply today...

Im not a chicken expert(this is my first year), but those ¨chipmunks look exactly like my Americana chicks. Maybe they got put in the wrong bin or labeled incorrectly? There are a few Plymouth Rocks mixed in there so ignore them. View attachment 1273199

That's definitely a possibility too. They don't have the fluffy cheeks or "beard" of an EE (at least not yet), so I hadn't cconsidered it. I'd be happy with some little Easter Eggers running around the place, we'd hopefully get some cute, colorful eggs.

Ok.
Well, in that case it would appear that I have one of each as the one chick has a very defined mark while the other one is there but rather subdued.

My first batch seemed to follow that eye liner thing, but the second batch didn't at all. More than a few in the second batch looked like males to me because of their head markings, but they all turned out to be females.

There are MANY breeds that start off with chipmunk markings. But, you can narrow it down quite a lot. They're lacking green legs and muffs so they aren't likely to be EEs. Welsummer is a possibility if they got their chicks from Meyer but most hatcheries don't have those in bantam size. Old English game, though, is available from most hatcheries. There are a couple different color patterns that would look like this as chicks (BBR being the most common). I'd be very surprised if it wasn't some flavor of OEG.

2 Welsummer chicks:
The two chipmunk looking ones on the far right and far left.
Not the middle brownish one.
DSC07569.JPG

The lighter chipmunk showing firm lines forming a triangle at the head looks a lot like a Welsummer to me. The others not so much. However, could be breeding at the hatchery? My local TSC uses Murray McMurray. The Welsummer I received in the mail from Meyer had a very delicate looking face. Sweet eyes, narrow face, delicate yellow beak.

I have a couple EE's and a couple Speckled Sussex chicks... Both have the same markings as the Welsummer chicks and many others! The Sussex are much smaller than the EE's, but both are super vocal. I will say that my EE's do have green legs even as tiny babies :)

Back
Top Bottom