So I went into Tractor Supply today...

This looks like an EE to me.
I see puff on the cheeks:
View attachment 1273241
It does look like it might. It isn't showing in the overhead view so I was thinking it was just contrast and light but it might be small puffs.

It's so much easier to tell in person! Just flip the thing over and take a good look at the legs, ya know? Because that willow tint would decide it.

And folks saying Sussex and Welsummer, those aren't commonly available as bantams. It isn't that they don't exist, it just isn't very likely when only one hatchery has bantam Welsummers and zero (that I know of) have Sussex.

It does look like it might. It isn't showing in the overhead view so I was thinking it was just contrast and light but it might be small puffs.

It's so much easier to tell in person! Just flip the thing over and take a good look at the legs, ya know? Because that willow tint would decide it.

And folks saying Sussex and Welsummer, those aren't commonly available as bantams. It isn't that they don't exist, it just isn't very likely when only one hatchery has bantam Welsummers and zero (that I know of) have Sussex.
Both chicks have yellow/orange legs.
I'll be happy with whatever they turn out to be - I just don't like the waiting game to find out...

I'm just chiming in to say proudly that I went to TSC yesterday with my daughter and there were ducks. I'm actually still duckless! Unprecedented maturity on my part. Duck house not built yet.

That's some amazing willpower.

I haven't even ever thought about getting ducks until my wife mentioned that she wanted some. I think we will wait a while until these chicks are out of the house and I get a duck house built before we get any.

BTW, is duck math like chicken math?

It's a Russian Orloff! I got java chicks and Russian Orloffs at Tractor Supply too!

... and came home with these chicks.

I know it's way too early, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea about the "chipmunk" colored bantams. From what I've found on the interwebs they could be welsummer, EEs (they have yellow legs though), or brown leghorns.
View attachment 1272079 View attachment 1272080 View attachment 1272081
They also had Java chicks - or so they said - in a bin with black sex links. The gal there claimed they were all pullets, but I haven't been able to find any info about sexing these chicks based on color.
View attachment 1272082 View attachment 1272083
Could these be mottled instead of black Javas? I found a few pictures online but it was unclear which black and which were mottled.

Like I said, I know it's too early to tell for sure but I thought I'd post anyway. I'll also be updating with new pics as they get older if anyone is interested.

Could we see a pic of their growth progress?

In case it helps, this is what mine look like now. The orloff is the one standing upright in the first picture.

The java is the yellow and black in the bottom pic.

Attachments

• IMG_6128.JPG
    IMG_6128.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6132.JPG
    IMG_6132.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom