So i've decided to build a coop

I like it!! We did something similar but it doesn't look that nice. Our issue was trying to keep bats out of the coop. <Sigh>
Honestly, one of the main reasons i first considered screen rather than siding had to do with my irrational fear of wasps. Bees....fine. Wasps....ack!

I figured they will probably be up there, but at least i'll know they are up there before stepping into the coop. :)

I was able to get all of the vent screening done today. I decided rather than use siding for my soffit material, I went ahead and screened them in with HW cloth. It's hot here in the summer, so like Aart mentioned, the more ventilation the better. In the winter i can cover the wall vents if necessary.

Plus, i am kinda diggin' the look of the exposed rafters.

Looks good!...what did you use to attach HC?

If you get mites try putting some wood ash on their floor or ground where they roam. They love to play in it and I heard it takes care of the mites

If you get mites try putting some wood ash on their floor or ground where they roam. They love to play in it and I heard it takes care of the mites

I hope I don't get them, but I probably will. I heard Diatomaceous Earth is a good option for that as well. Does anyone know if the same DE I use for my pool is the kind I would use in the coup?

I hope I don't get them, but I probably will. I heard Diatomaceous Earth is a good option for that as well. Does anyone know if the same DE I use for my pool is the kind I would use in the coup?
NO, absolutely not!!
You need food grade DE.

Best not to use it where it can become airborne, as it's a serious respiratory irritant ......
.......and it's a minimally effective deterrent to most external parasites anyway.
Nice sandy soil is all they really need to dust bathe.....a little bit of wood ash can help.

But my birds dust where they want, not where I set anything up....lol.

NO, absolutely not!!
You need food grade DE.

Best not to use it where it can become airborne, as it's a serious respiratory irritant ......
.......and it's a minimally effective deterrent to most external parasites anyway.
Nice sandy soil is all they really need to dust bathe.....a little bit of wood ash can help.

But my birds dust where they want, not where I set anything up....lol.
Okay...don't poison my chickens with pool chemicals. Got it.

I am leaning more and more to using sand and PDZ in my coup. I wont be able to do the whole run with sand, but will probably start with some sand, mulch and leaves as my base in the run. The ground there is hard dirt and rocks with some grass/weeds that I am sure will quickly be wiped out by the chickens when they gain access.

Great ideas Aart.

In case I haven't said it, I really appreciate your input on this project. I've learned a lot from you and the others, and know I have lots more to learn.

Back
Top Bottom