So many problems, no good ideas.

TheOgdensmenagerie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Eastern Montana
Problem 1- Too many Roosters. 7 Roos to 5 hens due to this years lucky chick picking. Especially since the chicks from TSC were suppose to be sexed. can't find them homes and I have never processed a chicken before.

So if you have any Good links to websites or just tips from experience for beginners that would be great.

Problem 2- Hens are bullying other hens. They have been with each other for 4+ months.
The aggressors (2) are picking feather to eat the feathers, and just flat out being nasty. Ganging up on them to bully.
I have protein layer feed and feed egg shells back to them constantly!
Space is not an issue I have a big coop 12' x 12' coop and a 10' × 8' run, plus the door to the run gets propped open so they get to free graze! (now that the dog is kenneled)
but the aggressors still run my 2 younger hens into the coop to bully them! We have a few acres I don't understand how this isn't enough room.
It's so bad I have to put the 2 younger hens into a small coop inside the coop at night. Which the aggressors roost on now. :/

I have many different roosts and hanging feeders with treats, multiple nesting boxes not next to each other, multiple waters all to try and prevent this but its not seeming to help.

Problem 3- A hen that use to lay eggs is now acting like a rooster? Crowing and starting to look like she has hackle feathers?! She is my only leghorn so I know its her but wtf?! I have enough Roosters why do you want to act like one.

I have only had chickens for 2 seasons now but I'm at the point of giving up. I just can't figure out how to rebalance my flock. Help please.

You don’t need to kill your cockerels, you can keep them in a “bachelor pad”, a separate set up just for boys. But I have seen some informative articles here on killing and processing birds. I would rattle that number down to one or none asap though.

Sounds like your girls are stressed or not getting enough protein. If stress, it could be caused by 1 - you have too many boys 2 - your run is too small.

Your coop is a great size for 12 birds, but whether free range or not, your run can hold a maximum of 8 birds.

Are you sure your Leghorn is a girl? If you post pictures, we can help confirm her sex.

It can be hard, but don’t give up. I’m still learning and find it tough; but everyone here is so knowledgable, I find comfort in knowing many here have gone through the same stress and hassle but can now enjoy their birds.

If you can't bring yourself to process 7 (maybe 8?) check around. You probably have enough to make paying someone to do it worthwhile. Either that, or find a farmer or breeder who is willing to trade a few pullets for a half-dozen cockerel dinners!
And I definitely agree with @featheredplanets. A few pictures of your "crowing hen" may add her/him to the processing list!

I don't process my birds, but take them to a very nice small poultry processing plant 20 miles down the road. Birds go in the morning is a dog crate, and come home in the afternoon, cleaned, chilled, and vacuum wrapped, for about $4 each. We've done it at home, but now prefer not having the mess.
I like to eat chicken, and my home raised birds have a nice life, unlike those commercial Cornishx critters.
There's information out there showing how to process birds at home, if you want.
Mary

At least the 7 roosters get along, I assume? Anyway, I suppose sometimes the dynamics of a flock just isn't what you'd hope for...... in which case you can cull em' all! And start over from scratch (pardon the pun).

Maybe just get rid of all the aggressive ones and then let the gentler pullets established themselves as the dominant ones in the flock, raise little soldiers up and then introduce them to the new more friendly atmosphere. VOILA! Now you've got yourself a peaceful chicken community that thrives on positive vibes. :p

Back
Top Bottom