so much to learn

redwnggirl

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
so i'm a new chick owner - we have 8 3wk olds (3isa browns, 3 Rhode Isand Reds and 2 easter eggers) yesterday Monday night i cleaned out their brooder and put in all fresh pine, hung out and played with them all for an hour all ws fine. tuesday morning cleaned the water dish and added food all was fine. Last night i have one rhode island that is head in the pine and super weak. can't hold her head up. i got her some electrolyte water and eye dropped it for her, no change. this morning (6am) no change, at 10 she was up and eating on her own. at 12 she's back with her head in the pine and when she does move it's backwards.
All the other girls seem fine, no one is picking at her, if anything they seem to be protecting her. our chicks are for laying eggs for me and the family, not pets, i don't know how far i need to go in caring for her. i'm guessing it's Wry Neck - symptoms seem the same, should i just let nature do it's deed?

-suggestions welcome

It could well ne symptoms of wry neck, but it also may be dehydration. Continue with vitamin-electrolytes in their water. Give her a little egg daily for selenium. Does she act lethargic, stand puffed up, or have any diarrhea or blood in poop? Coccidiosis can be a problem in chicks this age and older, and if you suspect that, get some Corid (amprolium) to treat all of them in the water.

She seems a little lethargic maybe, but I think it's really more stress, she backs herself Into a corner, then flips over on her back, it's really sad. I gave her some eggs. She is eating and drinking, a bit, no blood in poop or diarrhea in the brooder, I removed her to a separate brooder.

So... Great news and thanks for all suggestions, 50/50 (what we named her) is doing very well, can barely tell she had any issues

Back
Top Bottom