So my job is going away in 9 mos. What to do to prepare my family?

Quack Shack

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Winston-Salem
I talked on the phone with my counterpart due to a company acquisition. Not like we didn't all suspect downsizing but when it's talking to you on the phone then you get hit between the eyes with the reality. I've gone into a tailspin trying to figure out what I can do to prepare my family for me, the soul breadwinner, going on unemployment. I feel blessed that I got a few months to prepare as many around me only got 3 weeks. What would you do? What has been your experience and what would you have done differently?

I've been out of work since christmas there a abouts and had a few months warning. I saved every scrap penny I could, became thrifty, and the had the family buckle their belts a little tighter. We don't go out to eat anymore, rarely have pizza unless it's a take and bake, and put in a HUGE garden.
Then we have the quail as a good meat source.... But we were doing a lot of that before
smile.png

When we decided to retire and move, we had about the same amount of time to prepare. It is a blessing to have the time to get ready.

We paid off all debt (except the mortgages), put money in savings, had garage sales to get rid of stuff we didn't need and put that away as well. We cut down on eating out and cooked from scratch (with the help of the recipe forum
smile.png
) to save money.

If you can, try to preserve as much fresh food through canning, drying or freezing as you can.

If you sew your own clothes, watch for fabric sales and pattern sales for clothes.

If you have a wood stove, go and get your own wood. Usually for a small fee, you can get several cords of wood. Here it is $20 for 4 or 5 cords.

If you have health insurance, make sure you are up to date with prescriptions, exams and eyecare.

You could also get a resume ready

Good luck and sorry to hear about your pending job loss.

Save as much money as humanly possible. Don't worry about paying down debt right now, though that's a great long term goal liquid assets are what will get you through.

Start job hunting NOW, while you still have a job. It's much easier to find employment when you are currently employed, you seem like less of a risk. I know it seems wrong to abandon a sinking ship if you have loyalty to your job, but right now the most important thing is ensuring your family is able to make ends meet.

Ditto what Terri said about taking advantage of your insurance while you have it. Get everyone up to date.

Good luck, I'm glad that you had so much lead time.

Last edited:
ditto what Boyd said. plus sit them down and explain. not a guilty talk, but a 'here is the plain fact of the matter' talk.

you'll be amazed at what you can do with a real budget. be honest with your self and your money. you can make it work.

God bless you and keep you, keep His hand over you and provide for you.
hugs.gif

My husband was laid off early July 2008. We had 3 days notice. Fortunately, since he had been with the company quite awhile, he got a decent severance package that ran concurrently with unemployment for the first few months. I paid off as many outstanding small bills as possible. Stocked up on groceries. Got rid of an excess car (paid for, but not needed, so it reduced our insurance).

Then we tried to consider what would be our Plan A, B, or C, depending on what happened. His 'job' was to look diligently for another job. He spent several hours each morning (so much is online these days, so it does make it easier). He took his civil service exams, he called friends & acquaintances he knew in other companies to let them know he was available, he went to the career center. Every few weeks, he called them all again.

I run a small business from home. I upped my game, booked more shows, etc. He started helping me grow my little business. I considered a part-time job ~~ I used to work outside the home before. We found out even HE was able to earn a certain amount without it effecting his unemployment ... he started considering what he might be able to do part time.

He spent many afternoon doing projects and chores around the house like he was on an extended vacation. We put in a bigger garden and built a new chicken coop. It helped keep him mentally and physically balanced, because YOU ARE GOING TO WORRY. We tried to think outside the box. Imagine what you want, visualize it, taste it.

He only had 3 qualified interviews in six months. Two of them about an hour's drive from home. He came in 'second' choice on all three. In the end, six months to the day, he landed a job just 2 1/2 miles from home doing what he had been trained to do computer/printer servicing/support. This is amazing, since we live in a county where the opportunity for jobs for him were few and far between. He did take a paycut, but we some new benefits, like he is home early enough to do more around the farm. Oh, and of course, one of the others called shortly thereafter ... 'choice one' hadn't worked out. Go figure~!

Good luck!

Great input and thanks for the support. I really needed the boost. I have an appointment with a loan officer today at 4:30 to see if I can refinance and if I qualify for any special programs. I already make our own soap, laundry detergent, cook and compost for my garden. I will be expanding it next year for certain. I am learning to can so I've been practicing on my garden tomatoes. So far it's not going to win any prizes for pretty but I've not had any broken seals or spoilage. I bought some material on sale for my daughter and am shipping it off to her grandmother. I figure she has the time, talent and a buy-in with her school clothes can't hurt. (Hope not!) I'm not doing well with saving so I'll have to cut out the coffee/ice cream treats and nix the sports camp for my son. I had the talk with the kids and my son said he'd be OK if he can keep his birds. Great kids, huh?

Most govt jobs are somewhat secure and a lot of departments are hiring due to case loads for example DHS and disability.

Scrubbing up my resume today and posting for anything that even smacks of being reasonable. Loyalty I realize isn't that I won't miss any coworkers (been here 9 yrs) but that I'm not working for the social aspect but my family. Could priority check to do so thanks for the reminder. You have all survived by tuning into what is important is what I'm reading. Maybe I'll just turn over a new leaf in the process. I think the flourescent lights are sucking my life force away. I know they give me a dull headache.

i am trying to save money right now so i have cut our food budget alot i use the hillbillyhousewife.com $75 dollar emergency menu but i edited it to just over $100 for 2 weeks worth of food...I have saved so far $300 dollars just this pay period alone.....I do cheat some like add chocolate syrup to the powdered/canned milk to make chocolate milk...Its all about will power and the mind set of we cant afford it mentality...
there is also lists that help you save food everytime you shop buy a little extra to store for hard times...
Instead of buying soda when i go out i take a cup of tea with me..thats saves $15 to $30 a month alone..wich could be saved for paying more on something else you need..Like say pay it twoards you light bill,you can pay more on your bills...
Only take cash you need when you go out no debit,credit cards or checks....

Back
Top Bottom