So pool ideas

buff goose guy

Songster
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Mississippi Y'all
Ok so I'm eventually going to actually install a pond with the whole liner and all the shabang for my aviary, but for now I need some help.
I cannot use a kiddie pool because it is too messy! lol.
So what I am wondering is if I got a feeding tub from tsc like a horse water or feeding tub, is there a way I could drain it, like you know the drains on coolers that where you take off the lid to the drain and water comes out from the bottom (that would be great if I could install something like that). Or is there some kind of hose that could drain it?
Even a pvc pipe that could be installed on one of these things to drain it?

I would run a pvc pipe into it. Silicone so it doesn't leak then run pipe out to where ever and have a shut off valve in it. Crack it open when ever you want to drain it

We have a 30 gallon pond (for now) for our four ducklings. We drilled a hole in the bottom of the pond liner, installed a drain, and attached a PVC pipe to it. We also put a valve on the PVC pipe, so when we turn the valve it drains without having to stick your hand in and pull a plug. The pipe runs to our compost bin, so we don't waste the good, ducky, fertile water. We had to put some pipe glue on it to hold it all in place. :) If you want a picture, I can take one tomorrow when it is daylight and post it.

We made our horse trough into a duck pond by putting a deck around it. The deck allows us to still get to the drain plug but I want to add a hose so we can water plants from the lower plug hole. Right now we siphon off the top with a hose. We just had a garden hose break so I want to use it for the pond but the plug is larger than the hose so we will need to buy parts to attach it.

We have a 30 gallon pond (for now) for our four ducklings.  We drilled a hole in the bottom of the pond liner, installed a drain, and attached a PVC pipe to it.  We also put a valve on the PVC pipe, so when we turn the valve it drains without having to stick your hand in and pull a plug.  The pipe runs to our compost bin, so we don't waste the good, ducky, fertile water.  We had to put some pipe glue on it to hold it all in place. :)  If you want a picture, I can take one tomorrow when it is daylight and post it.

I would like a picture please

Along the same lines as jujubeans, I found this rubber stock tank at Tractor Supply. It's 110 gallons with a built in drain that you unscrew and you can attach a spigot or hose to and drain it (which I have plants all around my run so this way my plants will get fertilized water so win win situation) I plan to eventually get it, it was $64 at my TS, not bad in my opinion especially since it has a drain built right in. I'm using both a 15 gal. plastic stock tank for in the run and a small kiddie pool (the small ones are way easier to empty) for out in the yard.

Of course it's upside down but it's pretty big although it doesn't look it in the picture and I think my ducks would love it.

Last edited:
I had no idea they made rubber ones! We will have to look into that. We originally sprung for a 30 gallon pond because we didn't want our chickens to drown if they fell in. However, the chickens show no interest in our pond, so when we get a little extra cash, that would be great to get! :)

I had no idea they made rubber ones!  We will have to look into that.  We originally sprung for a 30 gallon pond because we didn't want our chickens to drown if they fell in.  However, the chickens show no interest in our pond, so when we get a little extra cash, that would be great to get! :)

Ya it looks hard but the sides are pliable not hard and rigid. What I love most about that one is you don't have to mess with adding a drain. And I like that it's deep, for my two ducks I'm hoping to have to only refill every 3 days. I may empty half and refill only half to extend to four days if I can, I guess I shall see. I built a retaining wall yesterday to separate a large area where the stock tank is to where I'm putting down pavers and medium sized river Rock to keep the sand and sort out of the pond and to keep the rest of the surrounding area dry and to where I can hose it down. The rest of my run is sand which keeps things nice a dry for the most part. I'm really hoping it all works.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom