So upset... anyone know the facts?

Jul 3, 2020
Hey guys... so on 12/30 my one duck had a what looked like a cut or something on her shoulder blade.. when I took her to the vet the next day- she was already healing - but he said as a “ precaution “ he was giving her bactrim ( I’m a physician... so I know the drug is used for wounds ... but we never give unless there IS an infection) ... but I did give one and 1/2 doses then realized this was ridiculous.. she was fine ... and yes she was in fact fine ... but the vet told me he was going to find out about a wash out period for the eggs ( she was only three months old at that time) well last week one of my four ducks starred laying eggs.. I looked up bactrim
Wash out and found out eggs can never be consumed by humans, if poultry given bactrim!!!
Do you guys have any experience with this???

Australia recommends a 10 day withdrawal period for eggs after hens have been administered Bactrim. This information was from Poultry DMV. This recommendation is due to lack of research on the medication. Every single medication that is currently used for poultry will have the same problem: lack of research. This is because only commercial industries sponsor the research, and they aren’t going to treat a chicken for an illness. They will dispatch it, because it is cheaper than treatment.

If you are deeply concerned, you can go a month with an egg withdrawal period. If I’m being honest, for any antibiotics I give my chickens, I’ll usually eat the eggs 🤷🏻‍♀️ I just don’t sell or give away those eggs. Sometimes I’ll cook them for my dog. I figured the chicken’s body will absorb some of the medication, some will be expelled in droppings, and some will be in the egg. It’s a tiny chicken with a tiny dosage and an even tinier amount in the egg so for me personally, I am willing to take the risk. If all of my birds were on antibiotics, I probably wouldn’t eat most if any of the eggs.

Edited to add link for my source: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole

Last edited:
Disclaimer, I am not a vet, nor do I have any medical training.

but he said as a “ precaution “ he was giving her bactrim ( I’m a physician... so I know the drug is used for wounds ... but we never give unless there IS an infection)
Very common for vets to do this, mine would have.
found out eggs can never be consumed by humans, if poultry given bactrim!!!
Do you guys have any experience with this???
Not true, only the fearmongers say such things. Try searching for sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim egg residue.

Back
Top Bottom