Soaking grains made a mistake!

Vicki B.

Songster
6 Years
Oct 10, 2017
Northern California
I misunderstood the instructions on sprouting grains and I now have a large bucket of oat,barley and wheat that I have been soaking for 3 days. I just realized I was supposed to rinse and drain daily not rinse and cover with water. Do you think this soggy grain will harm the hens or should I toss it out to be safe? Smells fine looks like it was starting to ferment(bubbles coming to the top) but since I rinsed everyday I don't think I can now change this bucket of grain to ferment?

I have read quite a bit about making fermented feed for your chickens and have not found it to be harmful. I would look into it if I were you, it should be perfectly fine, even good for you chickens. Hope it works out for you:ya

I'd feed it. Might not be as yummy or nutritious as your sprouts would have been or the full ferment would have been, but I doubt it's bad based on how you have handled it. I wouldn't keep going with it or let it sit more days though, I might be inclined to toss out anything they don't eat today.

Back
Top Bottom