Soaking whole grain mix overnight for chicks

If you want to experiment with making feed for your chickens I would suggest that you wait until they are at least half grown and just feed commercial chick starter for now. Malnutrition can cause permanent damage to their brains, organs, muscles and immune system, and I know you want the very best for them.

ETA - I'm not against people making their own feed and believe it can be done with good results. Especially so in situations like @Perris has with a free range multi-generational flock. But with chicks confined to a brooder and you being new to chickens, I think it would best to stick to a tried and true feeding regimen.

Last edited:
I could say the same to you, one publication dated to 1979 and another back to 1932. Alot has changed since then.
indeed; if you slog through you'll find one on the impact of milk on bacteria is nearly a century old. But many of the links go to open access papers published in the last two decades. And the work cited in post 1 is from 2022.

Last edited:
If you want to experiment with making feed for your chickens I would suggest that you wait until they are at least half grown and just feed commercial chick starter for now. Malnutrition can cause permanent damage to their brains, organs, muscles and immune system, and I know you want the very best for them.

ETA - I'm not against people making their own feed and believe it can be done with good results. Especially so in situations like @Perris has with a free range multi-generational flock. But with chicks confined to a brooder and you being new to chickens, I think it would best to stick to a tried and true feeding regimen.
Thanks for the feedback and I understand your concern. So far my chicks love the mash I've made and they are eating it all. I made sure to add ingredients that support the immune system, bone, muscle and feather development. The hens wing feathers are already growing in fast and they look great. All seem to be going to the bathroom fine, there social, eating and drinking a lot. None seem to be acting different from the rest. Overall they seem happy so I'll stick to my plan. I have to follow my gut instinct or I'll regret never trying.

Thanks for the feedback and I understand your concern. So far my chicks love the mash I've made and they are eating it all. I made sure to add ingredients that support the immune system, bone, muscle and feather development. The hens wing feathers are already growing in fast and they look great. All seem to be going to the bathroom fine, there social, eating and drinking a lot. None seem to be acting different from the rest. Overall they seem happy so I'll stick to my plan. I have to follow my gut instinct or I'll regret never trying.
Gotcha. I just want to point out any unforeseen side effects would cumulative rather than immediate. Glad they are doing well and best of luck with them. I'm very curious to see how they progress.

how's it going @Lavender Mum ? Are you enjoying being a chick momma? :)
Hey @Perris everything seems to be going good so far. These chicks are getting plump and starting to fly around and have pecking order fights lol. I've been free ranging them outside the past 2 days since the weathers been hot. They seem to like me. They follow me around and chirp loud when they don't know where I am. One in particular seems to act like boss and she's the biggest. She always gets to me before the other ones can. She's super friendly and curious. So far its been fun being a chick mom.

Hey @Perris everything seems to be going good so far. These chicks are getting plump and starting to fly around and have pecking order fights lol. I've been free ranging them outside the past 2 days since the weathers been hot. They seem to like me. They follow me around and chirp loud when they don't know where I am. One in particular seems to act like boss and she's the biggest. She always gets to me before the other ones can. She's super friendly and curious. So far its been fun being a chick mom.
Sounds wonderful! Long may it continue.

... I know methionine is in kale, BOSS, flaxseed and broccoli so I can't see how I'm not meeting that amino acid requirement for them. I didn't mention flax in my feed recipe but, I started them on it last night. So far, the chicks have been eating everything I put out for them. The only thing they leave out is any bigger shell hulls from the BOSS that they can't eat.
Adult chickens need 1600 mg MET per pound of feed. Chicks need a higher percent.

Broccoli has 35 mg MET per 91 g
Kale has 18 g MET per 67 g
Sunflowers have 0.119 g MET per 28.35 g
Flaxseed has 10.5 mg MET per 28.35 g

so
34 g of broccoli has 13 mg of MET
34 g of kale has 9.13 mg of MET
152 g of sunflower seeds has 6.4 mg of MET

total of 28.5 from those three leaves 1571.5 mg to come from the flax seed which would take 4,455.2 g of flaxseed per day.

Source for the numbers I used for how much MET in Broccoli, Kale, Sunflowers, and Flax is https://brendadavisrd.com/methionine-restricted-diet/

I think the source used hulled sunflowers and sunflowers eaten by people so most likely not BOSS but the numbers are so far off that it really doesn't matter much. The same for the fact that nutrient content and needs vary - they don't vary that much, especially upwards for protein.

Methionine is important in the development of the immune system and the gastrointestinal system. A small deficiency may not show up until the immune system is challenged (and then it may not be connected to diet during development).

An free ranging broody hen on a range that has adequate resources can show her chicks what to eat that provides what they need (possibly assuming she has had time to learn what to eat from her range). I don't know how successful chicks on their might be. It probably has a lot to do with how rich the environment is, how much time they have to forage, and how much drive they have to forage.

It would be good if someone else checked my math.

I thought the baked crushed egg shells would be a good grit supplement. I've read about oyster shells being good and plan to get them but for now I had egg shells on hand and read that they are a great alternative.
Yes baked eggshells crushed are good calcium, however I read earlier today it isn’t good to give extra calcium to chicks because it stunts the growth of their bones. Please research this.

Back
Top Bottom