Soap Makers Help!

Beautiful soaps cheeptrick! I love the natural coloring.

Ninja - About how many bars does this recipe make? Do the ounces convert pretty well so that 160 ounces of ingredients make 40-4 oz. bars? Just trying to determine how many molds I need to come up with.

Quote:
Ok I have all oils too other than the shea.. I do have avocado oil. According to the PP switching oils with this soap is not a good idea.. BUT i have these others.. (and I wouldnt have to buy anything) and I would like to know about the super fatting question too..
hu.gif

I have a different cuke soap recipe that uses avocado oil, so if everyone has that, we can sub it. It won't make as much of a difference as the recipe says it will. Avocado oil is wonderful.

Superfatting is just a personal preference, and lots of sources will say not to do it when using organic substances, or to use GSE to preserve it, but I always superfat to the max and I've never used a preservative, and I've never had a problem of any kind, even when using pureed cucumber, carrot, pumpkin, etc.

oh yes lets do an avocado oil one..
smile.png

ETA my current oils..

coconut oil
macadamia nut oil
sunflower oil
avocado oil
grapeseed oil
hazelnut oil
walnut oil
olive oil

I have 2 lbs lye (I ordered from aaa-chemicals.com) I need to check at lowes. What brand is at lowes?

canola oil (an easy pick up)
Palm oil (will look for that one brand previously mentioned non hydrognated vegtable oil {Spectrum brand is pure palm oil, if you can get that})

Last edited:
Ditto on the preservatives...I've never used one in any soap I've made. In the saponification process the soap is actually turning into a sodium base...so it in itself is a preservative. Never had a bar of soap go rancid...only had mold grow...but that was because I stored it in a plastic container...definitely store in WOOD. But to be honest...my soap does not usually have time to go rancid because folks use it up so quick! 1 bar lasts about 80 showers for my family of 5...usually about 2 weeks. I do use Stearic Acid for a hardner...

Also...my batches that I incorporate Canola Oil into have a tannish/greyish color...so be expectant of this in planning your scents/colors.

Oh...and food dye reacts with the lye and changes color. You should never use Food Dye in your lye soaps...melt and pour maybe. But food dye bleeds with use...YUCKY in the soap dish and in your lather. There are special dyes especially for soaps...you can even use jojoba beads which can be bought dyed...it is pretty with colored speckles. I stick with juice though...
Also...some essential oils/frangrance oils will change the color of soaps...the Bug Season Soap salmon color comes from the fragrance oil.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Quote:
The Spectrum shortening comes in a white tub with blue label, looks kind of like a tub of Cool Whip. It's much much cheaper to order palm oil in bulk, but for quick access and small recipes, a "shortening" version is fine. I may be monkeying with some of my recipes in the near future, because I'm starting to have some environmental guilt over the production of palm oil and the destruction of existing rainforest. But I don't know anything that has the same qualities in soap, so it's tough.

The lye that you can get at Lowe's (and ONLY at Lowe's, as far as I can tell) is Roebic's Drain Cleaner. It is NOT labeled as "lye" like Red Devil was, but on the back label, at the very top, it says it contains "100% Sodium Hydroxide," which is lye. It's in a white plastic canister with a red/black label, and is 2lbs. for $7.89 here. Again, cheaper to buy in bulk, BUT in this case I go with the less cost-effective packaging simply because I don't want a big tub of lye sitting around my house with a child and lots of dogs running around.

Did I mention having a gallon of white vinegar on hand at all times? If you spill or splatter lye or lye solution on your skin, this is what you'll use, IMMEDIATELY, to flush the area. Sometimes I get cavalier about wearing gloves and goggles (shame on me), but I always have vinegar at the ready.

I think it is important to note that lye being manufactured and sold as a Drain Cleaner...may contain other ingredients. Drano uses aluminum and other metals added to their products. It is also important to note that LYE is used in the ILLEGAL manufacturing of the drug methamphetamine. There have been MANY regulations put on the common household products used in the manufacture of this illegal drug. I personally would prefer to use LYE manufactured specifically for Soap making...there are many websites for soap crafters and you will have to sign disclaimers and fax the paperwork prior to purchasing the lye.
The metals added to Drano have been proven to deteriorate the TEETH of a meth addict so horribly that they literally turn black and fall out. It is a sad and horrible addiction...which is why regulations were made and the sole reason you are unable to buy 100% lye at your local store.

So that being said...I'd contact the manufacturer of the drain cleaner and just 'check' on their ingredients...there are patents to protect certain products 'secret' recipe. So I'd do my homework first.

Sadly the drug addicts ruined it for all us soapers...all us good folks have to pay the price.

Here are some websites who sell lye for soapmaking....I personally use Camden Grey.
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/coldprocesssoapmaking/a/lyesources.htm

Quote:
Several of us have called Roebic to ensure that we're using "100% lye" as it states on the label, but PLEASE, don't take my word for it--contact the company yourself.

cheeptrick--the following is from the same website you linked, just FYI:

Check your local hardware store - Lowe's hardware stores sell Roebic Crystal Drain Opener. One of their long-time employees recently wrote me assuring readers "...that this product is 100% lye and we have recently added that information to our label. It is available in a 2 lb. container and can be found at all Lowes stores." So that's good news! But, it's always best to check the manufacturers site and check the label for the product. I had one user write me and say that while the label (not Roebic's) said 100% lye, the MSDS sheet said otherwise.

As far as I know, there is NO OTHER lye available on store shelves anywhere in America. All other brands must be ordered by mail.​

You are correct, NP. I use that one myself.

Just a quick FYI - if you mail order alot of lye over time you are placed on a watch list. Your shipments are tracked. I choose not to be on the watch list. I buy mine local.

Back
Top Bottom