Soapbox time or Looking for like minded individuals interested in contributing to herb treatment dat

I did look it ( Artemisia Annua) up, I have "Herbal Antibiotics" by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Had not gotten around to that one yet, very interesting. Lots, and lots of good info, but the book , at least in part, is not really written for a lay person like myself.
sad.png
Sometimes I spend more time looking up terminology than reading! But hopefully eventually it will increase my knowledge enough to try some more things in the future. Your questions were spot on, and I've always kind of practiced the theory that if it isn't going to hurt you, then it's worth a try. I use the oregano since it's antibacterial, antiviral, anti parasitic etc. and functions as an immune booster. I know they are working with oregano oil in the mass producers and report positive results. I'm using dried herb mixed in my feed, I just kind of eyeball it. It's probably about 1/3 - 1/2 cup to each days feed for 16 birds. It's enough to see it in there. And if I have a sick bird I usually add a drop of the oil to whatever else I'm giving them. I know that from personal experience that the reaction from other humans is mostly negative, or just puzzled, when you start to talk about herbal remedies. Fortunately I know an acupuncturist/herbalist so I do have the ability to ask questions and get serious answers, even if it's about chickens! But it's his living so I try not to abuse the privilege, even though he is pretty patient.
I use herbal remedies for myself and my family, and after many years my husband no longer thinks I'm a total fruitcake, because they work!!
Sorry, got a bit busy there & wasn't able to get back to this in a timely manner. It sure sounds like we are kindred spirits. Sometimes you just have to pull up your britches & hope for the best when it comes to using herbs especially in birds, as they are so different than us. I have found that herbivores, like cows, goats and rabbits will respond to herbal treatment really well almost to the point of self treatment if you give them the option, so I figure that omnivores, like us & chickens might respond similarly as well. I figure that if I can take it safely then they can. I have yet to find any good references on using herbs in birds. There are some studies that have been done in chickens, as you noted, on using oregano oil that look promising. I use teas regularly in my practice, one of my new chicks that was breathing hard & clicking drank a decoction (read strong tea) made with oregano, olive leaf, yarrow and oregon grape for two weeks in her waterer & seems to be doing much better.

I picked up a copy of the book that you referenced. I haven't had a chance to read much yet but he does use pretty technical language. I like the way he thinks and am looking forward to reading it. Thanks.

I also read pine tar? Any ideas??
Sorry for my late entry back into this, pine tar could cause more problems than it solves. Coach723 has offered some really good ideas. You're really going to have to solve the pecking issues and you'll have to separate her out until she heals up. I liked her idea about the coconut oil. I would probably use that with a drop of lavender essential oil but you'd have to be careful not to get it in her eyes if you do that. Don't use grocery store brands of essential oils, find a high quality brand like DoTerra or Young Living.

Back
Top Bottom