Soft Egg and Funny Egg

EmsJ

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Good Morning everyone,

I am new to having chickens and would like to ask. Yesterday we had a storm and it was really bad. I kept the girls in their sheltered run and coop and not out in the large covered run as they hate the wind. Yesterday I had 1 normal egg, 1 which was white and had a knobbly bit on it and 1 which was a soft egg with no shell. Would this be down to stress with the storm. They are only 7 months old and happy and health so far. Eating well and loving coming out to play.

So in the picture the left egg in a normal one for my girls the middle is the white funny one and the last one is the soft one.
Many Thanks
Emma
IMG_3029[1].JPG
IMG_3030[1].JPG

Would this be down to stress with the storm.
No. I doubt the storm affected the at all.

Do you have a container of oyster shell available at all times for them?

They are still young, new layers and it takes time for their reproductive systems to fully mature.
I would get the oyster shell out if you don't have it already and then I'd do a "calcium infusion" every other day for a week. I take some oyster shell and mix it with a small amount of Greek yogurt then put little dollops of it all over the run for them to eat. That will help stimulate interest in the oyster shell.

As @DobieLover said, it's not unusual for new layers to have "glitches" in production. It happens to older girls sometimes, too. One of my 3-year-old Buckeyes laid an egg yesterday with little calcium deposits all over it.

I do offer oyster shell but have never tried the Greek yogurt offering. Sounds promising.

Good luck with your girls; hope better weather is on the way for them (and you).

No. I doubt the storm affected the at all.

Do you have a container of oyster shell available at all times for them?

They are still young, new layers and it takes time for their reproductive systems to fully mature.
I would get the oyster shell out if you don't have it already and then I'd do a "calcium infusion" every other day for a week. I take some oyster shell and mix it with a small amount of Greek yogurt then put little dollops of it all over the run for them to eat. That will help stimulate interest in the oyster shell.
Hi ya, Yeah a big pot of oyster shell in there all the time. That's great advice I will do that as well. I have had 2 normal eggs today but will still do this to be on the safe side.

One of my Easter Egger hens just LOVES eating oyster shells. Nearly every egg she lays, has these impressive formations on one end. They look a bit like a topographical map of someplace very rocky! I believe the bumps are caused by excess calcium in the hens diet. The rubber/soft/shell-less eggs are usually caused by calcium deficiency, however they also happen when birds are stressed/very young. (It happened to my flock when we were moving and had to stay somewhere strange for a few days.) There's lots of good advice here, it's refreshing to be able to talk to chicken-literate folks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220302_130509340~2.jpg
    IMG_20220302_130509340~2.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 2
As @DobieLover said, it's not unusual for new layers to have "glitches" in production. It happens to older girls sometimes, too. One of my 3-year-old Buckeyes laid an egg yesterday with little calcium deposits all over it.

I do offer oyster shell but have never tried the Greek yogurt offering. Sounds promising.

Good luck with your girls; hope better weather is on the way for them (and you).
Yogurt is super good for chickens! They also really, really love cottage cheese. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom