So... I'm really not sure that egg was even hers. I assumed that it was since I removed all eggs before bed and woke up with 2 under her, but puffin has been burying some of her eggs lately under wood shavings so I think maybe that is how there were 2. Also it maybe was just rhe way the sun was hitting it but one did appear to be thin shelled but after looking closer they both had a pretty normal shell. Even right after i found her on those eggs, Pipsqueak still looked and felt like that soft shell egg was in her, and now it kind of feels like there is 2. I can clearly feel 1 and even move it around a bit with a slight massage, and it kind of seems there is another slightly behind/to the side of it. I think I will call my vet today to see how much it will cost just to get her in and looked at and get the vets opinion.

That's a good idea. How is she acting? Still going about her day normally?
Still eating and drinking and pooping, but definirelg less active the last couple days spending a lot of time just sitting in front of the water drinking it. I just was trying to massage the egg towards her vent and this little gelatinous piece came out. In going to bring her in for a warm bath right now and spend the next hour or so gently massaging it towards her vent it does seem like she is actually trying to push it out now.

Attachments

• 20240511_103720.jpg
    20240511_103720.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 2
Ok so.... ugh today is hard. Penguin has been acting weird since mid day I went out with mealworms and she just sat in the corner of the yard in a bush. Earlier in the day pipsqueak was hanging out in the pen next to the pool seemingly trying to push the egg out, I took a nap and when I woke up penguin was in the same pen next to the same pool, standing over a yellow soft shelled egg. I've experienced a lot of soft shelled eggs and have never seen one so yellow. It seemed to have a little bit of yolk on the outside of the soft shell which was not pierced. I'm honestly not positive which one of them laid it 😕 I actually think it was probably penguin because I looked at her vent and there was a bit of dried egg yolk on the feathers around her vent, but her vent itself looks normal and unobstructed. She isn't acting normal and is just sitting in her pool now, although I suppose it is possible that pipsqueak laid it earlier and Penguin just sat on it and got some of the yolk in her feathers. Pipsqueak still looks and feels bloated down there same as she did earlier which is also why I think this one was Penguin. Penguin generally doesn't have any soft shell issues but she is clearly not feeling right while pipsqueak is still mostly acting normal. I also did not hear back from my vet today and they are closed on Sundays so I am not going to hear from them until Monday. Meanwhile I have been working way too much the last few weeks trying to make enough for vet bills and also my car has recently started shaking while it's stopped so I have been trying to make enough for vet and mechanic bills at the same time because I am a full time uber driver so if my car goes out of service while I have no money I will be completely screwed and have no way to make any money to take care of my babies. I've been driving myself crazy working constantly with no breaks and pipsqueak was already stressing me out so much I really did not need Penguin to start feeling bad right now. She is not bloated like pipsqueak but the egg is very concerning if it did come from her I have never seen an egg come out looking like this. I went ahead and gave Penguin a dose of the cal glu and separated her in her own pen with her own pool for the night and also crushed up some egg shells for her and put them in there. I really hope she is feeling better tomorrow, she is my only imprinted baby and I cannot handle the stress of worrying about her too right now. I am really hoping that this egg is the only reason she was acting off and will be better now that it's out.

Attachments

• 20240511_165628.jpg
    20240511_165628.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 1
Ok so.... ugh today is hard. Penguin has been acting weird since mid day I went out with mealworms and she just sat in the corner of the yard in a bush. Earlier in the day pipsqueak was hanging out in the pen next to the pool seemingly trying to push the egg out, I took a nap and when I woke up penguin was in the same pen next to the same pool, standing over a yellow soft shelled egg. I've experienced a lot of soft shelled eggs and have never seen one so yellow. It seemed to have a little bit of yolk on the outside of the soft shell which was not pierced. I'm honestly not positive which one of them laid it 😕 I actually think it was probably penguin because I looked at her vent and there was a bit of dried egg yolk on the feathers around her vent, but her vent itself looks normal and unobstructed. She isn't acting normal and is just sitting in her pool now, although I suppose it is possible that pipsqueak laid it earlier and Penguin just sat on it and got some of the yolk in her feathers. Pipsqueak still looks and feels bloated down there same as she did earlier which is also why I think this one was Penguin. Penguin generally doesn't have any soft shell issues but she is clearly not feeling right while pipsqueak is still mostly acting normal. I also did not hear back from my vet today and they are closed on Sundays so I am not going to hear from them until Monday. Meanwhile I have been working way too much the last few weeks trying to make enough for vet bills and also my car has recently started shaking while it's stopped so I have been trying to make enough for vet and mechanic bills at the same time because I am a full time uber driver so if my car goes out of service while I have no money I will be completely screwed and have no way to make any money to take care of my babies. I've been driving myself crazy working constantly with no breaks and pipsqueak was already stressing me out so much I really did not need Penguin to start feeling bad right now. She is not bloated like pipsqueak but the egg is very concerning if it did come from her I have never seen an egg cosme out looking like this. I went ahead and gave Penguin a dose of the cal glu and separated her in her own pen with her own pool for the night and also crushed up some egg shells for her and put them in there. I really hope she is feeling better tomorrow, she is my only imprinted baby and I cannot handle the stress of worrying about her too right now. I am really hoping that this egg is the only reason she was acting off and will be better now that it's out.
Laying a soft shell can take alot out of them. My Buff just laid one today also. She got a dose of calcium Gluconate too. Hopefully Penguin will be feeling good in the morning.
So sorry things are so stressful right now with your car and your girls.
I have been thinking about Pipsqueak too It just doesn't make sense she could go this long with an egg stuck inside of her and still be acting normal I hope you can get her to the vet and he can determine if she is egg bound and help her lay it.

Laying a soft shell can take alot out of them. My Buff just laid one today also. She got a dose of calcium Gluconate too. Hopefully Penguin will be feeling good in the morning.
So sorry things are so stressful right now with your car and your girls.
I have been thinking about Pipsqueak too It just doesn't make sense she could go this long with an egg stuck inside of her and still be acting normal I hope you can get her to the vet and he can determine if she is egg bound and help her lay it.
Yeah I definitely agree it just doesn't make sense. Hopefully I'll be able to get some answers from the vet without paying for expensive xrays or anything. I found a couple more of those little gelatinous white ball egg pieces in pipsqueaks pool this morning. Penguin seems to be completely back to normal feeling way better so that is good. She was trying to climb up her pen and as soon as I let her out she went right to chasing pipsqueak around with murderous intent so she seems to be feeling better completely.

They can sure have attitude. Glad to hear Penquin is back to herself today.
The vet may want to put her on an antibiotic just to be safe there isn't infection going on.
I def won't be able to afford to bring 2 of them to the vet but I do have an antibiotic here if it is a good idea to give her some. I just emptied the pool she was sitting in after laying it last night and even though it was a completely soft shell egg it did look like there were a few bits of crushed egg shell in the pool.

Attachments

• 20240512_180557.jpg
    20240512_180557.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom